How Much Slippery Elm Bark?

Guest jskelton

Guest jskelton

My girl Arwen is currently in the early stages of diagnosis of her GI issues. She has always been a very picky eater but over the past year has displayed occasional yet increasing anorexia and has consistent small soft stools, sometimes liquid, often pudding. A GI panel revealed low cobalamin. Everything else is normal, including folate. She lost about 7 lbs over a year but is fairly stable at 60 lbs. I administered 7 weeks of B-12 shots which really isn't a cure, more a treatment. It did correct her cobalamin level, though probably only temporarily unless we continue. So we have started down the typical path of treatment and diagnosis. We have done 6 days of Panacur. We have been on Interceptor for years. We're at day 13 of Tylan at 1/4 teaspoon 3 times a day. No major change.

The next step would be to change her diet. I can try eliminating grains and glutens but I can guarantee you that Arwen will not be satisfied with just one source of protein. She will starve first. I have read many, many posts on this topic and am considering my options. We've tried unique proteins for my IBD dog, and all 3 dogs tired of one source after just a couple of days.

But for now, I would like to try slippery elm bark as I continue the tylan treatment.

If any of you have used slippery elm bark, how much to you give, what manner, and how often?

Thanks,

Julie

if you go to www.Greyhoundgang.org Claudia has a section on the slippery elm and dosages and amounts that are suggested.

a small size turkey baster will get it into the dogs mouth and they just have to swallow it.

good luck!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I didn't realize that Claudia had a section on that, I'll go read it. I always just get the powdered form from the herb shop or natural foods market and sprinkle it on and mix it in their food.. it's much easier that way and it has a mild, nutty flavor so none of my dogs have ever minded or even noticed it. I usually give a couple of heaping teaspoons and mix it in... off to read Claudia's recommendations (my method is what my holistic vet had recommended along with several days on The Potato Diet to sooth the system.

Not to threadjack, but have you considered feeding raw food? Check your local grocery stores, see what you can get- beef heart, chicken and turkey necks, or even if there's a raw food co-op locally. It's a lot of work, but the results are hard to argue with, particularly when exploring options to incipient GI issues.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest 4rooers

I use Thorne GI Encaps, buy them at Naturamart.com. They have slippery elm, plantain, licorice and marshmallow root. I put capsules into their food. Rourke has slight case of IBD and Ozzie gets them for stomach upset. They have really helped both.