Growl And Snap Again

Guest greydreams

Guest greydreams

Last night Al and I were on the couch and his head was lying in my lap and I was petting him and he fell asleep for a while. He woke up and gave me kisses and all. I had to pee so, I went to get up since he was awake, and I leaned down to kiss him one more time and he growled a real short one and there was no time to back away and he snapped at my face. It glanced off, because my head was turned, so he didn't hurt me physically, but he sure did hurt my feelings. I sternly told him no, and he looked like he really messed up, I mean, he knew he was in the wrong and looked remorseful, you can tell when they feel that way. I have never had dogs growl at me before and this is the second time Al has done it, and I must say I don't like it one bit. It was my fault, I forgot and leaned over him, but jeez, loose my face over it? I didn't know greys could be so snappy. Just saying......I thought we were closer than that, but I know better now and will be more careful. Do you think he will get over that? I have only had him a month, maybe he isn't that used to me yet for me to be that affectionate with. I was hoping one day to have a therapy dog but i don't think Al is the one for that, not now anyways.

I would give it a lot more time before jumping to conclusions, though I understand why your mind would lead you that way.

Some greys walk into our homes like they came here after every race and others take a bit longer to acclimatize. It is very likely Al will come around once trust is established and he is feeling comfortable, understands you, gets to know you and why you do such "silly" (to him) things. These pups can take longer than 6 months to really show their personalities - this is all part of the magic of adopting!

You may have a therapy dog or you may not but in 6 months he will likely be a very different dog from the one you have in front of you. Probably more comfortable, into the routine, established, understanding limits, playing games with you, etc. They take time to blossom. Enjoy this phase, learn about each other, set some boundaries, and keep an open mind. He still has growing to do and is counting on you to teach him the ways of home life.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest 4dogscrazy

Aww I am so sorry this is happening to you! That must have been scary! I don't have a lot of wisdom on why he might be doing this, I just wanted to tell you how I deal with my three. I don't ever let them sleep in my bed at night. Two of them can take naps with me, in the daylight. I always turn my face the other way! I normally don't pet them while they are sleeping/almost asleep, they just lay next to me or at the bottom of the bed.

Tonight, I sat down on the floor by my oldest girls bed (she is 7) and I have had her the longest, probably 20 months. This was the first time I entered her "space" to pet her. I normally NEVER do that. She was fine, totally trusts me and was roaching so I would pet her belly and giving me the "paw". I just don't trust them when snuggling like that. Don't get me wrong, they get tons of loves, but usually only standing and when they come to me. I also do not let them on my couch with me. They have never tried to get on there, and I have never encouraged them to get up there with me. I just don't have enough couch room for three people and four dogs. They get their dog beds and the peoples get the couch. They also respect my space, if I come into the bedroom, usually my girl will get down off the bed. I've never told her she has too, she just does it.

It's a shame really, I see some beautiful cozy pictures of greys on the couch together, and sometimes would love to have a snuggle buddy, but it's just not something I am ever going to do. Too many chances for snaps or guarding and I just don't want to go there.

I don't consider them any more snappy than other dogs, I just think they need tons and tons of time to understand how house people live! Very confusing to them, some more than others. My newest boy, he's 2, I have only had for 8 months, and I still talk to him to wake him up if I want to go anywhere near him while he's napping. None of them have ever snapped at me, but I guess I am just overly cautious. The other night I had to get up at 5 am and it was pitch black in our bedroom. I put one foot on the floor and realized: hey it's DARK in here and there is a sleeping dog 4 feet away from me. I started talking quick!! She did startle but realized who I was right away. She's the only one who doesn't sleep in a crate at night, and the oldest, but I still was talking pretty fast lol!

Guest greydreams

Ya, I know it all takes time. I am still learning, too, just like Al. I know a year from now he will be a totally different dog. I am just glad for this place, and all you people, who are willing to teach us new people what it is all about. I just got my feelings hurt a little, that's all. Last week on our way into the driveway after a walk, I noticed the garbage man had been by, so I grabbed the big garbage container and started dragging it up the drive with us. To my surprise, Al started squirming and pulling on the lead, trying to get away from the noise, he had never heard a garbage container being dragged over a snowy driveway before I guess. It just goes to show how new they are to our world, and how I must keep that in mind.

Guest greydreams

Aww I am so sorry this is happening to you! That must have been scary! I don't have a lot of wisdom on why he might be doing this, I just wanted to tell you how I deal with my three. I don't ever let them sleep in my bed at night. Two of them can take naps with me, in the daylight. I always turn my face the other way! I normally don't pet them while they are sleeping/almost asleep, they just lay next to me or at the bottom of the bed.

Tonight, I sat down on the floor by my oldest girls bed (she is 7) and I have had her the longest, probably 20 months. This was the first time I entered her "space" to pet her. I normally NEVER do that. She was fine, totally trusts me and was roaching so I would pet her belly and giving me the "paw". I just don't trust them when snuggling like that. Don't get me wrong, they get tons of loves, but usually only standing and when they come to me. I also do not let them on my couch with me. They have never tried to get on there, and I have never encouraged them to get up there with me. I just don't have enough couch room for three people and four dogs. They get their dog beds and the peoples get the couch. They also respect my space, if I come into the bedroom, usually my girl will get down off the bed. I've never told her she has too, she just does it.

It's a shame really, I see some beautiful cozy pictures of greys on the couch together, and sometimes would love to have a snuggle buddy, but it's just not something I am ever going to do. Too many chances for snaps or guarding and I just don't want to go there.

I don't consider them any more snappy than other dogs, I just think they need tons and tons of time to understand how house people live! Very confusing to them, some more than others. My newest boy, he's 2, I have only had for 8 months, and I still talk to him to wake him up if I want to go anywhere near him while he's napping. None of them have ever snapped at me, but I guess I am just overly cautious. The other night I had to get up at 5 am and it was pitch black in our bedroom. I put one foot on the floor and realized: hey it's DARK in here and there is a sleeping dog 4 feet away from me. I started talking quick!! She did startle but realized who I was right away. She's the only one who doesn't sleep in a crate at night, and the oldest, but I still was talking pretty fast lol!

The first time AL growled at me was when I first got him and he slept on my bed. Ever since, he sleeps in his crate at night. I hear you about keeping the face away from them, I would if I slept with them. I think I will keep him off the couch, too. He has wonderful beds he can sleep on, and I am starting to think they need that seperation to get the respect from them. The alpha thing.

First things first. I would stop sticking my face in his. Not a good idea. I wound up with 8 stitches over my eye for doing exactly what you described, except, Teddy never growled or snapped. He bit. Lesson learned very quickly. And if he is growling at you while on YOUR couch, no way would I allow him on there. That is a privilegde that has to be earned.

I know what you mean about the garbage cans. Even after 4+ years, if I dragged them I would have 5 dogs trying to back out of their collars.

time and patience.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest 4dogscrazy

The first time AL growled at me was when I first got him and he slept on my bed. Ever since, he sleeps in his crate at night. I hear you about keeping the face away from them, I would if I slept with them. I think I will keep him off the couch, too. He has wonderful beds he can sleep on, and I am starting to think they need that seperation to get the respect from them. The alpha thing.

They respect you naturally, they just don't understand you! lol! The best thing they could hope for was a pat on the head and ear scritches from their trainers (for the most part). They are used to being handled, groomed, washed, nails clipped but hugs and kisses while half asleep? Weird and scary!

Guest earlkattangrey

I am a new grey owner so please remember I don't have nearly the experience of most here, but they first thing I thought of was maybe Al was doing the sleeping-with-his-eyes-open thing, and was sort of out of it when you out your face down that last time and didn't realize it was you. Think this could just be a case of sleep aggression?

Guest Harry702

Many greyhounds, particularly those who have been in a home for a short time, have some degree of space/sleep aggression. Harry has both. He's not comfortable with people that he doesn't trust (and for him, full trust takes years to develop) getting too close to his face. It took a good 4 or 5 growling incidents from him in our first 6 months for me to finally get and remember his message. My natural inclination was to snuggle with him and kiss him on the head.... he just hated it. Looking back, I'm proud of him for keeping his patience with me. I think if someone kept getting in my face after I'd asked them to stop 4 or 5 times... well, I would've done more than "ask" (ie growl) to warn them away.

Realistically, Al may never be comfortable with the kind of close contact cuddling that you're practicing. Harry has come a long way in 2 years, and he's become more an more tolerant of close contact with me and DH, but in general, I know better than to lean over him, or get too close to his face. For a long time, I was disappointed that Harry wasn't the kind of snuggle bunny that I'd hoped for in a pet... now, though, I know that Harry is (very) affectionate on his own terms, and it means that much more to me because I know how far he's come.

As difficult as it may be, try to lower your expectations of Al. Give him time to settle in, learn to trust you (which he won't do if he keeps having to warn you when you're crossing his boundaries), and develop his own way of being your buddy.

Guest gecko_foot

Last night Al and I were on the couch and his head was lying in my lap and I was petting him and he fell asleep for a while. He woke up and gave me kisses and all. I had to pee so, I went to get up since he was awake, and I leaned down to kiss him one more time and he growled a real short one and there was no time to back away and he snapped at my face. It glanced off, because my head was turned, so he didn't hurt me physically, but he sure did hurt my feelings. I sternly told him no, and he looked like he really messed up, I mean, he knew he was in the wrong and looked remorseful, you can tell when they feel that way. I have never had dogs growl at me before and this is the second time Al has done it, and I must say I don't like it one bit. It was my fault, I forgot and leaned over him, but jeez, loose my face over it? I didn't know greys could be so snappy. Just saying......I thought we were closer than that, but I know better now and will be more careful. Do you think he will get over that? I have only had him a month, maybe he isn't that used to me yet for me to be that affectionate with. I was hoping one day to have a therapy dog but i don't think Al is the one for that, not now anyways.

I wouldn't say that you aren't close because of this incident. You obviously know that he wasn't comfortable with the situation and why. As others have stated, these things take time. We haven't raised these dogs since puppyhood, so it takes time to build that absolute trust. Dogs don't rationalize their behavior. Even though a dog bites you it doesn't necessarily mean that he hates you - just that he was uncomfortable and you missed the subtle signs of his distress. It's not a big deal; we all miss things.

Good luck and hang in there!

Guest snakes

No big advice that you haven't already figured out yourself, but sometimes my greys when they are sleeping for long periods of time will wake up a bit but it really is only a half-awake state so they fall deep asleep quickly and can be startled easily. You already figured out waht not to do! I'm glad you weren't hurt. Also i have found i have recieved a growl or too in similar situation but uslaly it is because when i move it moves thier bodies (uslaly hips or spines) in a very uncomfortable position, hence a growl. i usually have them get up before i move around or get up.

As to the trashcan, any loud noise (especially hollow noises or sharp cracks) seems to spook almsot every houdn that has come through this house, especially if it is 'chasing' them! Flailing at the leash is a natural escape method and they can pull very hard, an easy way to have a loose potentially lost hound. I now have one hound who won't even walk by empty trash cans due to some 'chasing' her on windy days!

Good luck1 I am sure you will all figure out and understand each other soon enough, we have all been in your shoes at one point or another! :)