Was This A Seizure?

Posting for a friend - I'm not sure whether this is a seizure or indicative of something else. I've been searching H&M on and off throughout the day as time allows, looking for info on seizures since I don't have any experience myself with them. She basically is looking for information on what to watch for going forward, or someplace to get more information.

"The Sunday afternoon that this occured, my brain wants to tell me that I saw a slight hitch in Hardy's step with his back legs in the morning when I let them outside. I didn't think too much of it because sometimes when he runs outside in the backyard, his legs are wobbly for a few minutes coming back inside. Around lunch, we were eating and Hardy was playing with one of those Kong balls (the ones without the treats). He stood up to walk across the floor to me and he froze. His back legs started shaking and turning inward like he did not have control over them--yet trying to stand and trying to sit down all at the same time. I mentioned it to my husband as I was getting up to help and started trying to help his legs. Then, we realized that the ball was stuck on one of his teeth. I pried that off and then we helped him lay down. I got on the phone with the emergency vet people and stayed on the phone with her for the duration of what seemed like a seizure/stroke at the time. The seizure lasted about 4.5 minutes and he never really seemed to lose conscienceness. He kept moving his head a little whenever we would move from him a bit. Then, after about 15 minutes after the event, he seemed fine, just exhausted. He took about a two hour nap after that and has been fine ever since. He hasn't had any muscle issues or anything and is bouncing off the walls again."

This is a relatively young dog, 5-6 years old from what I can remember. I'll keep searching through things here in H&M, but if you have any thoughts or suggestions, they would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest Energy11

I would say, this was a seizure. My Curfew has "episodes," which I am calling mini strokes, ... no way to really tell without an MRI.

If this happens again, maybe I'd see if the vet would put this dog on anti-seizure medications. Also, some vets, and mine is one, ... will prescribe liquid Valium, which can be drawn up 10-15 mg in a syringe, and administered rectally (without the needle), during a seizure. It most likely will stop the seizure in it's tracks.

Hoping this doesn't happen again! Good Luck! Dee and The Five

If this happens again try to video the event. That will help their vet in diagnosing.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

This sounds like the type of seizure that my sister's dogs would have. It was periodic, but sometimes he'd just stop and be there-but-not-completely, like he was kind of stuck in a feedback loop of some sort. It wasn't a tonic-clonic, but like one of the complex partial seizures that people sometimes have. Epilepsy Foundation information about complex partial seizures

Thank you for your replies. Now I know what direction to look in for information for her. I appreciate it, as always!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited