Lack Of Rear Leg Control

Guest MaxwellEdison

Guest MaxwellEdison

Hi all,

Here it is, the question I warned you about. Ill start with a little background.

1.Max does not like stairs. He never has, it was cited by the previous owner as a serious problem (I dont think its that bad). He Does use them but tends to bound up a flight rather than walk. Yes I've tried to show him...

2.He has 2 arc shaped scars at the tops of both rear legs toward the front. They seem to correspond to that muscle at the front of the leg (I don't have my DVM yet). They are definitely in the same place on both sides and appear to be about the same age- they are old. Sometimes when hes running around in the back yard- running, not just trotting- you can hear him yelping just a bit, as if the strides are painful but not enought to stop him.

3. We have hardwood floors downstairs. If you pet him while he is standing on the wood, his rear feet will slowly slide outward out from under him, so that he has to sort of keep resetting his feet. (Maybe little rubber sticky feet for his pads?) He is aware of it but either can't or just doesn't bother controlling it. Doesnt seem painful.

4. He seems just generally on the clumsy side. It wouldn't be a problem. He doesn't usually hurt himself, just tends to slip and slide a bit more than he ought to.

5. Max started having seizures about 2 months ago. He is now on phenobarbitol, and the seizures seem to be gone. His clumsiness is unaffected.

What I'm wondering is does this supposed lack of control indicate a health issue? I have had other dogs including another with epilepsy, but they always knew where there butts were, more or less. I'm also wondering if the scars could be identified as the cause of his apparent pains and resulting fears. Are they something that he got as an end of career trophy? Ive been reading in the epilepsy section, and saw that seizures can be brought on by worry, but he seems pretty settled and they didnt start (that we saw) till 4 months afet we got him. He doesn't pace, doesn't have accidents.... Seems very calm and relaxed. Any thoughts are welcome. I hope and really suspect that I'm just worrying and should shut up and enjoy. Thanks for bidding! Max and Jerry

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

This post should be moved to the "Health and Medical" section. An Admin can do that, or you can just start a new thread over there. As far as info, I cant really be of much help with this issue, sorry.

Chad

Guest MaxwellEdison

Max is about 7. We have put some runners down in the most troublesome spots- even taped them down so they'll stay. It could be pain on the stairs, but I dont think so, since he leaps up them rather than walking. This would seem to me to be more painful than walking.... but Im not a dog. By all means, if the thread should be in health then please move it there. I put it here because I'm questioning his behavior.....and his health... Anyway, I did think about it. :unsure

Edited by MaxwellEdison

Well, hard to say if your history with him is short. There could be many reasons why he is unsteady and I can relate to one of them as our Bumper has similar issues. Last summer, he had uncontrollable swelling around his spine as a result of what we now know is an autoimmune issue. The swelling was bad enough to nearly incapacitate his rear legs and while the nerves have mostly repaired themselves, he is still clumsy and cannot stand still. His back legs are always shuffling a bit laterally. He does a very solid bear walk up the stairs and cannot jump. During the initial phases of his recovery, we had to be REALLY careful as he did the splits a few times on the hardwood floors, which undoubtedly delayed his recovery and caused him pain.

I am not sure what my advice is, other than to make sure he has some non slip surfaces to walk on. And more from a history point of view, he very well could have had a medical problem, completely invisible to the eye (his symmetrical scars notwithstanding) that all you see are the resulting aftermath. Another idea might be to try Glucosamine as a supplement in his diet for bone/joint health. Our other boy Brucie had 'ankle problems' when we adopted him and he'd whine like Max when running. After being on Glucosamine for about a month, the whining (and apparent pain) completely disappeared.

Good luck.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest MaxwellEdison

Hi,

Glucosamine. Good idea, I had a German shorthair about 14 years old who went through plenty of it. Thanks for reminding me. -His name was Dave, and he was a great buddy too. No lease required, ever. A pound rescue taken in as a stray. I'll never understand how someone could have let him go. But at least I got him. Anyway, I think I'll look into getting some and give it a try. I know it wont hurt him. Thank you very much. Max and Jerry

Edited by MaxwellEdison

Guest MaxwellEdison

One more reply- I searched online and found the liquid, but then thought I'd look locally but lost out. Went to our vet to ask and was Given :colgate a pound tub of soft chews to try. Such a deal, I think that deserves recognition- Maple City Animal Hospital, Michigan City In. Max is on day 2 of those but of course no visible effects yet. I'll keep us posted. Max and Jerry

Guest MaxwellEdison

A further additional for Max. After one week the glocoseamine chews appear to be working. Burpdog, looks like you were right. Max is following me much more closely up the stairs, and more closely overall from a lying around position. Thanks again Bruciedad for reminding me.

I have an almost 11 year old who thinks she is still 2 who just can not do the steps well either. She needs to stand in front of them and think about how to come up. My other 4 walk up, she bounds up fast too.

I give her, glucosomine, MSM AND CMO. When I added in the CMO it really made a difference in her rear end weakness.

If you buy it @ www.greyhoundgang.com all it's 100% pure and all proceeds goes to help the hounds.

Good luck.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project