Adoptee With A Broken Leg

Guest ravensmom

Guest ravensmom

I have the opportunity of adopt a three year old Grey boy with a broken leg that's been fixed. Will there any problems with this leg later on when he's older? Could it break again? Do I need to restrict his running, HA HA.

I'm concerned that there might be larger expenses later on.

Guest Energy11

First of all congratulations! Adopting a greyhound, to me, is a true blessing! If the leg heals well, and I am sure it will, there should be no problems. Maybe, later in life, there might be a little arthritis, but that can be handled easily!

Welcome to Greytalk, and if you feel this greyboy is the one for you, I'd go ahead and adopt him! :-)

Edited by Energy11

I recently adopted Ollie- (see signature) who recently turned 3 as well. He was retired on Aug. 29 due to a bad break in his right back hock. His leg was never set so it looks kinda funky and when we adopted him in Nov. he was still limping pretty badly.

I had him x-rayed just to see what was doing since he was getting spayed and a dental anyway and they could see that is was a fresh break and I was advised no running for 6 months (from break) which we stuck with.

Now he is exactly 6 months post break - at the end of Feb and he is not limping anymore. Every once ina while he will limp or favor it or hold it up when he goes into the yard but he is just fine and enjoying retiremenet.

This was the first time he ran since being with us last week in the snow!

DSC_2668.jpg

As far as anything in the future--- who's the tell? There is always a chance anytime there is trauma to a bone there could be future problems, but there are no guarentees for any one or any thing!

go for it!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmilyandSioux

It it our human place on earth to take care of these guys. We never know what each day will bring. Live today like there is no tomorrow. As far as running he may not win any races(who cares abotu that anymore) but he should be able to play. The best supplement I have found for arthritis is called ArthiSoothe Gold. It is availabe for dogs and horse. I buy the horse size it works out to be cheaper in the end. It can be frozen to keep it fresh. KV Pet is where I get mine.

It it our human place on earth to take care of these guys. We never know what each day will bring. Live today like there is no tomorrow. As far as running he may not win any races(who cares abotu that anymore) but he should be able to play. The best supplement I have found for arthritis is called ArthiSoothe Gold. It is availabe for dogs and horse. I buy the horse size it works out to be cheaper in the end. It can be frozen to keep it fresh. KV Pet is where I get mine.

I would pm you but you don't have enough posts.

The only thing I can say is, maybe an x ray and a look from a vet you feel is qualified would be in order. I know of someone who adopted a dog whose leg wasn't fixed properly (not a broken leg but some other thing), and it had to be re-fixed again. The vet they consulted, who is a respected track vet of many years, said that it wasn't fixed properly the first time.

The crazy thing is, if it had been, she probably would have gone back to racing. It's crazy how fate works.

Anyways, good luck.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

I would pm you but you don't have enough posts.

The only thing I can say is, maybe an x ray and a look from a vet you feel is qualified would be in order. I know of someone who adopted a dog whose leg wasn't fixed properly (not a broken leg but some other thing), and it had to be re-fixed again. The vet they consulted, who is a respected track vet of many years, said that it wasn't fixed properly the first time.

The crazy thing is, if it had been, she probably would have gone back to racing. It's crazy how fate works.

Anyways, good luck.

This is exactly why I had Ollie's leg x-rayed, however even if it wasn't set right, it will be FINE!!! It fuses and his gait might be a little off, but he will be fine, just fine!

Ask my Ollie anytime. ;)

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

You might have some residual limping if the break is relatively new, otherwise, you shouldn't have any problems. If the break isn't completely healed s/he may need to have some restrictions on exercise for a time. Arthritis is something to look out for down the road, but it would be anyway.

My Toni came to us with a broken hock that had come out of the cast about a month previously. She limped for a while but it hasn't stopped her one bit.

It's hard to say "Yes" or "No" definitively that you would NOT have significant costs down the road. That may happen whether s/he has a previously broken leg or not. But I would imagine that most owners here of formerly-broken-leg greys would say it's not an issue.

I'd say go for it!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest TheUnrulyHound

My Cabby suffered a fracture of his central tarsal bone on his rear leg when he was 18 months old, he is almost 4 now and he would laugh at you if you told him he was once broken ;)

DSC_00542.jpg

Like everyone said though, it depends on the break and how well it was fixed. Cabby never limps on that leg and it has two screws in it :)

edited to add that the only difference I have ever noticed is that the toenails wear down faster on that foot, but that is a GOOD thing when you have 119 toes to trim :)

Edited by TheUnrulyHound