Guest HicksFan

Guest HicksFan

Hi all,

Looking for any advice about my first greyhound coming home tomorrow night. Complete novice dog owner, much less greyhounds! Im so excited and have read up but if anyone has some useful advice I would love to hear!

Edited by HicksFan

Guest vezzerina

Hi! Welcome and congratulations!

If your experience is anything like mine was, your greyhound will slip comfortably into your life. My advice is to be patient while you get used to each other, but don't pussy foot around your new dog either. Go see your vet right away. If you want to train him/her in any way don't hesitate to start right away (I went to obedience classes about 3 times at Petco and learned how I can train Lyca to do simple things). Also, your dog might take a while to adjust to your house and dog food so there may be loose stools at first (I'm only telling you because this surprised me!). Sweet potatoes and canned pumpkin help with this.

And most importantly, give your new grey lots of love! :colgate Mine can't get enough!

Oh, and ANY questions post them on this forum! It has been a huge help for me!

Guest HicksFan

Thanks! Im super excited just have no idea what to expect. The foster home hes at said he is doing really well and adjusted very easily. I am signing up for obedience to start in 2 weeks which I think will be great for both of us to learn. The rescue group Im working with has been great and Im sure will continue to be a good support.

Im sure I'll be back on with TONS of questions!

:welcome

GT is a great place to learn about greyhounds, just relax and enjoy the first few days, your life is about to get better! :)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Welcome to GT and greyhound ownership!

There is such a wealth of information on this forum ... my advice is to browse the archives and use the search function if you have a question -- not that you can't post too, of course, but there's such great advice on anything you're likely to wonder about already waiting for you.

And be sure to post pictures!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I am so excited for you! Congratulations!

:confetti

Please come back and share some pictures with us when you bring your new baby home!!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest HicksFan

Thanks to all for the welcome! I can't wait to go get him tonight but Im a little nervous too. Im sure all will be fine and if I can figure out how to post pics I will certainly do so soon, I already have my camera batteries loaded up and ready to snap! I'll need to do some more browsing of all the topics here, so much to learn!

Guest HicksFan

His racing name is Flying Hicks. I found out last night all his siblings were named after American Idol stars. So unfortunately he's after Taylor Hicks who I couldn't stand on that show! But he knows his name Hicks so we'll keep it.

First night was a little rough, I only got about 3 hours of sleep but hoping for a little more tonight!

He is an absolute sweetie though and I couldn't be happier. Who knew having a dog and greyhound especially is so much fun??!! He was worth the wait.

Guest RobinAZ

Hi and welcome! I am fairly new here too. I've had my GreyCee for a little over 3 months. She slipped right into our little family with hardly a ripple. I have three other dogs but GreyCee is my only greyhound. I want more!

Guest PhillyPups

:wave Hi and welcome from Philly. The sleeping will get better. Welcome to the wonderful crazy world of greyhounds. If you have a supportive adopotion group, one way to give back for all the help they have given you is to volunteer with them at whatever level you feel comfortable with.

Many many years ago I was where you are,nervous about my first greyhound, then was asked to foster one (desparate need to get her into a home) and have not had an "only" dog since. :lol

Relax and enjoy Hicks. Hicks will poick up on the fact that you are relaxed and will relax into your routine.

Congrats and again, welcome to GT - your life as you knew it will never be the same again!!

Guest HicksFan

Hi there! Your GreyCee looks like Hicks! Aren't they gorgeous?!

What fun Ive had the last 2 days, can't believe I was nervous. He's settled in nicely already and Im sure will be even more comfortable as time goes on.

I just can't believe Ive waited this long to get a dog/greyhound!

Edited by HicksFan

Guest bowiebears

Welcome!

By now, you and Hicks are settling in together very nicely, I'm sure.

We adopted our 1st greyhound almost 11 years ago. Our first boy, Dowland, died last January after almost 10 wonderful years with us. We've had 5 altogether (2 at a time), and I cannot imagine life without greyhounds. Our vet's office is always so happy when our kids come to visit: The Zen Dogs, they call them. And they always thank me when they come for their visits; it makes the vets and the vet techs days easier somehow!

They are truly remarkable animals.

All the best!

--Isaac & Jeff, with greyhounds Azalea & Grant

Welcome to you and Hicks. Hope both of you are sleeping a little more. Hicks will easily learn a new name if you want to change it. Maybe to Cowell? ;)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest HicksFan

We are sleeping better that is for sure. He is doing wonderfully except for some crate anxiety. We have gone through one blanket so far, shredded to pieces. Not sure what to do about it. But we sure are sleeping better, in fact that's about all he does these days besides when we are in the kitchen of course!

I would change it to Daughtry if I could, he's my fav and my bf resembles him. But Hicks it is!

Hello!

Thanks for the welcome! I hear once you get into greyhounds you never want anything else and I can see that now. Besides some minor issues he is the most fantastic dog, and cute to boot! Im sure there are more in my future I just may not know it now, lol!

Guest bigbrindlebunny

My boy didn't like the crate. He also ripped the bedding to shreds and whined/howled when left alone. It took us forever to figure out that he didn't have separation anxiety, he was just telling us he wanted the hell out of the crate. Once we did that, all the commotion stopped. He's still not given free rein over the house, he's contained in the bedroom when we leave.

Talk to your adoption coordinator and get their advice. A hound can do a lot of damage to themselves and the home if left to their own devices, so if you think the crate is the problem it might be worth trying a muzzle in a controlled area.