Pra

we saw the opthamologist today..A wonderful, patient, knowledgible doctor. I had done my research and was expecting not great news..the reason his one pupil is larger than the other is not an issue: something to do with the muscle.

She does feel he has PRA and his cataracts are tiny..if there is a retina problem surgery for the cataracts is out of the question..She wants to re-evaluate in six months. She will call me Monday about having blood test to identify the gene. Sadly, there is no treatment for PRA..I did ask her about some canine eye supplements I found through an article on PRA. It is called ocuGloRX..basically vitamins and anti-oxidants for the eyes. She suggested I give it a try since she said research has shown that the reason the retina deteriates is due to free radicals (?) and that the anti-oxidants are believed to help "repair" the damage. She said it clearly can't hurt him to take it..so I ordered it today. I am trying to keep positive. Hopefully the PRA will progress slowly and the ocuglorx will help slow down the progression. They suggested a book: "Living with a blind dog"

This is the link for the ocuglorx in case anyone else was interested:

http://www.ocuglo.com/products.asp

Edited by dbullwinkel

Guest Energy11

Aw ... poor Little Flex!

Sorry to hear about this, but sounds like you are doing all you can.

When I worked at the vet in Florida, we had an old Golden Retriever, Bob, board a lot. He was totally blind, but what a LOVE, and he had no trouble getting around, really. We'd lead him out to the turnout pens, or, sometimes, he'd just follow our voices.

Sending love to you and Flex!

I was waiting for the update. How was the doc? Was your wait long? I am so glad you got in today rather than the 18th.

Sending loads of good thoughts and prayers for your little guy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project