Dirt In Vulval Fold?

Guest summernights

Guest summernights

Gem has a tendency to get UTIs due to having more of a fold over her vulva than most female dogs (at least, that's how my vet explained it). I give her cranberry extract tablets daily and use an unscented baby wipe on her after each walk, which have pretty much stopped the UTIs.

When using the wipes on her, I usually just do a quick swipe over her vulva, and occasionally lift the fold to wipe underneath. She always seems to have moist, brown "matting" in the fur under the fold. The matting will come off if I work at it enough, but I'm always hesitant to do so because I don't want to hurt Gem.

Is this something I should be worried about, or is it common with female dogs? It's nothing new, and doesn't seem to cause her any problems. She's the first girl dog I've had since I was very young. Thanks!

Perivulvular dermatitis. It is worth cleaning gently with water or alcohol-free baby wipe after she uses the bathroom and smearing on a little triple antibiotic once or twice a day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Rascal has this problem, too. The vet actually suggested surgery, which I really want to avoid. They gave me some wipes to use (Pledgets, I think they were called); those were minimally helpful. Then I asked if there was an ointment or something we could try, so they prescribed Animax ointment. You have to be persistent with it, using it twice daily for at least seven days, and getting it up in there---the vet can show you how to do that--but it really worked for Rascal!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

My little girl had this problem. I have been told that it's due to them getting too many steroids while at the track.

I used to use Desitin Creamy on a gauze, and wipe her after she pees.

That helped a lot

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Actually Claudia, for females that get a higher dose of steroids then they should would have an enlarged vulva it really wouldn't have anything to do with the amount of skin covering the vulva. It would just be a more exposed vulva.

And before anyone freaks out about the "over dose of steroids" what the deal is. Females are dosed with a hormone once a month to help prevent them coming into season. (think birth control here)

Just like humans, some need more hormone and some need less.

At the tracks it's normally a set amount of hormone given to each female.

If the kennel person pays attention and see's that a female's vulva is getting enlarged then they should lower the dose or dose every other month for those females :)

Also I think the Desitin cream is a SUPER idea!

Guest summernights

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll try using triple antibiotic ointment for a week and see if that helps...if not, I'll take her to to the vet to see about a prescription cream.

Guest longdoglady

Anna has a juvenile vulva which causes the same problem, she takes 1mg estiol daily, this swells the vulva pushing the folds out. This reduces the frequency of infection in the folds but I still clean and dry her after urination and she still needs antibiotics occasionally. When she has an infection male dogs are attracted to her (weird but true) so I know it is time for a trip to the vets.

It's tough being a girl.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll try using triple antibiotic ointment for a week and see if that helps...if not, I'll take her to to the vet to see about a prescription cream.

I tried that with Misty and she just licked it all off, which is why I started using the Desetin Creamy.

She would try to lick that off too, but if you've ever used it, they have to lick for days to get it off.

I checked with the vet to be sure licking it wouldn't hurt her

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless