Possible Dislocated Toe

Well crap, Zuri has a toe on his front left foot (outside toe) that has been known to pop out occasionally although if I recall it usually pops "in" rather than "out". This morning at the dog park after a run after his sister, he limped a few times. He's also been known to limp for no obvious reason and then be fine later in the day so when he wasn't limping when we got home, I didn't think anything of it. I didn't notice any sort of limp when I took them out after work either, but he was clearly limping as we got ready to go out for our last turn out so I looked at his toe.

It's swollen and on the inside side and a little onto the webbing he has a fair amount of bruising (dark red). The toenail looks like it might be sticking out at a slight angle, but I can't really tell b/c of the swelling. I felt it but it again couldn't tell anything b/c of the swelling and it's clearly painful so I wasn't about to try to squeeze it any harder to try popping back in a toe that may not be popped out.

I gave him a Deramaxx so I'm hoping that by morning the swelling will have gone down and I'll be able to at least see if it's dislocated and possibly pop it back in if it is.

Thoughts? Similar experiences? Is there any chance my plan will work or is a vet visit likely? I have meetings all day tomorrow so it seems unlikely I can get him in before Friday. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest GryffinSong

Bummer. Gryffin dislocated a toe several weeks ago and I wasn't able to pop it back in. The vet wasn't having any immediate luck either, so xrayed him to be sure there was nothing cracked, and then pulled like made to get it in place. Gryff had bruising and perhaps a tiny bit of swelling, and the nail was pointing almost sideways. It was the last little joint on that foot.

Hugs and good luck.

ugh. Loca dislocated her toe and the healing process was worse than when she broke her leg, since it couldn't be popped into place. she was limping and whimpering after it happened. it will probably be ok if he can't get to the vet today. if it ends up needing to be bandaged, make sure you do all you can to keep it dry. in spite of my best efforts, loca developed sores after the plastic bag came off of the bandage during a walk. i used empty IV bags from the vet.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Energy11

Curfew dislocated his toe about 1.5 months ago. I was able to pop it back into place, but it kept popping out. I "buddy taped," it to the other toes with vet wrap, which seemed to work, but it did irritate inbetween the other toes. During that time, I had him on Deramaxx, 35 mg, twice a day, and Pepcid AC, 10mg with each dose for his tummy. The Deramaxx seemd to help the swelling and the pain. We did not let him go on long walks, and TRIED to keep him quiet. Dr. Karen saw the toe two weeks ago, and said he is now fine.

What YOU are describing sounds a little more serious. Might want to consider an x-ray, to be sure nothing is broken.

Love, hugs and good luck!

Guest MnMDogs

Ugh, we had a foster who had a toe that would pop in and out and only occasionally cause him pain, so we had it looked at. I think you'll be fine waiting to see the vet, but it may end up needing to be splinted. If you can, try to get a shorter splint that doesn't render the elbow joint immobile. Poor Alec was clomping around like a monster for a while after the first split - which was way too high. After that we went with a very short splint that just fit around his foot

He ended up with it on for 6 weeks and I had the wrap changed every 5 days or so...I was out of work, so I had nothing better to do :) No matter what, the toes will get irritated, no matter how dry you keep it. So I felt better getting it looked at frequently - it was the rainy season here too. He went to his forever home with 1 or 2 weeks left of the splint, and as far as I know, it's stayed put for the past year.

Good luck, they really are a pain in the butt!

So the Deramaxx seemed to have reduced the swelling enough by this morning for me to feel confident the toe is not dislocated. He came out of his crate after work happy and trotting around playing with his toy as always and seemed good on his potty walk, but is now limping a bit. So I think the Deramaxx is helping with both the swelling and pain some, but not completely. Bruising still there of course, but I applied some Arnica gel just now and will keep up with that. I think I'm going to get give it another day or so with he Deramaxx, arnica, and rest and see where we are.

Does anyone know what happens if he broke it? Will the vet even do anything? Is it possible for the toe to be broken but still appear straight? I really doubt it's broken given his history with this toe, I am guessing he just pulled a ligament/tendon - he may have even popped it out and it popped in on its own (or he managed to pop it in) - but the bruising is new for us and has me more concerned. :dunno

FYI, he doesn't appear bothered by it aside from teh limping, he's not working on it or acting like less than his happy self.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Energy11

I THINK, but, I am not sure, they would splint a broken toe, but it sounds like your issue, given the progress, is soft tissue, and things will be okay. I'd continue the Deramaxx for a few days, and, as I mentioned earlier, I give it with Pepcid AC (*generic is fine), ... helps the tummy! Good LucK!