Healing Thoughts For Shadow, Please

Guest smudgebear

We too had a bad "zoomie" experience 2.5 years ago. Beau was doing zoomies in the yard and cut the corner too short and pulled the achilles tendon away from the bone. He had to have orthopedica surgery for 3 hours. He has plates and screws.

Recovery wasn't too horrible. LEASH WALKS ONLY EVEN IN THE BACKYARD FOR AT LEAST 6 WEEKS which I am sure your vet told you.

We were able to walk Beau short walks in the beginning and increased every few days.

He was very lucky it wasn't worse. We have been there. I hope he bounces back quickly.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest smudgebear

Thanks so much everyone for the kind words and suggestions! Yes, we will definitely be doing only leash walks for the next several weeks. There is some swelling and he is pretty scraped up on the left leg as well. I will probably try icing it and see if it helps. He's on Rimadyl twice a day for 5 days which I think is helping to take the edge off. The biggest issue right now is that he keeps falling over while going to the bathroom since squatting must put too much pressure on his sprained leg. Emma, the vet actually mentioned the FCE possibility, but because of the swelling and abrasions, he said it was more likely a soft tissue trauma.

Just a side note, they ran a blood panel on Shadow last night to make sure he was okay to prescribe the pain meds. I didn't know the doctor so I asked if he was familiar with the differences between greyhound blood values versus other breeds and he told me he was. However, he came back and told me that Shadow's creatinine level was a little high, but not enough to be concerned about giving him the meds. When I got home I looked at the paperwork and his level was at 1.6 which IS normal for a greyhound, correct? It just goes to show how important it is to have a grey savvy vet! I expect to go to his regular vet later this week for a follow up.

How much Rimydl is he on? mgs? We had Beau on 75 mg once a day. 50 - 100 mg of tramadol every 6 hours.

Was it his right rear leg?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest smudgebear

How much Rimydl is he on? mgs? We had Beau on 75 mg once a day. 50 - 100 mg of tramadol every 6 hours.

Was it his right rear leg?

He's getting one 75 mg tablet every 12 hours. It was actually his left rear leg. I know the right side is more common.

Guest LindsaySF
he came back and told me that Shadow's creatinine level was a little high, but not enough to be concerned about giving him the meds. When I got home I looked at the paperwork and his level was at 1.6 which IS normal for a greyhound, correct?

It's on the high end of normal (range I usually see listed for Greys is 0.8-1.6), but yes still normal for a Greyhound. As long as BUN and urinalysis is normal, that creatinine is fine.

I have this saved to my hard drive, very helpful: http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/393/Greyhound_Bloodwork.pdf