Healing Thoughts For Shadow, Please

Guest smudgebear

Guest smudgebear

As usual, I let Shadow out in our fenced in backyard last night to do his business and no more than 5 minutes later I heard the most horrible howl. I honestly thought something was in the yard and attacking him. I ran to the door and there he is down on the ground dragging himself toward the door and he couldn't seem to stand. I ran over to him and instinctively tried to help him up. He howled again and bit my arm. I knew he was in trouble then because he is normally so sweet and docile. I knew he was in a lot of pain and that the bite was unintentional (luckily it's mainly just bruising). Unfortunately DH was out of town yesterday and hadn't gotten home yet so I was alone. I immediately ran inside and called my dad who lives about 15 mins away to come and help me get him to the e-vet. I returned to Shadow who by then had dragged himself over to the side of the house and was laying down and I covered him with a blanket. When my dad arrived we muzzled him and got the blanket underneath him so we could use it as a stretcher of sorts. Between us we carried all 73 pounds of him (dead weight) to the car. He must have known we were trying to help him because he didn't make a sound or panic. Anyway, to make a long story short we were at the e-vet for 3 hours while they took x-rays, ran blood work, etc. The good news is that there doesn't seem to be a break, but there is significant bruising on his upper left leg. He can put weight on it and walk on it for short periods of time, but it's hard for him to get up from a laying down position and he's pretty uncomfortable. :( We think he got a case of the zoomies as he sometimes does, and due to the rain we had yesterday the backyard was muddy and more slippery than usual, and he ended up taking a bad fall. He's on pain medication and we're trying to keep him as quiet and comfortable as possible. It was a very scary experience for me, especially being a first time dog owner. I felt so helpless. :cry1 Anyway, please keep Shadow in your prayers so he feels better soon. If anyone has advice on caring for a dog with a leg injury I'd welcome it.

How scary for you and Shadow. :eek Glad there's no break. Hopefully with quiet rest, leash walking for potty breaks, and lots of lovin', he'll heal up just fine. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest VaGreymom

Lots of healing thoughts headed your way. Poor baby, hope Shadow is feeling better soon. I would use a towel to hoist him up. I would also leash walk him in the back yard for potty breaks. Last but not least....lots of tender loving care.smile.gif Please keep us posted on how Shadow is doing.

Guest grtgreys

That is the most awful feeling - seeing them on the ground and not able to get up! Thank goodnessyou had someone close by to help you get him to the vet. keep us posted on him.....sending white light to Shadow to get well quick!

:(

Guest LindsaySF

I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully he just pulled a muscle or something and will heal up soon. :goodluck The rain yesterday was crazy so maybe he fell in the mud. I hope he feels better soon.

Is his leg swollen? Maybe you can ice it.

:grouphug

How scary but glad you were calm and got him to the e-vet

Please thank you dad from the GT community for rushing over to help

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Oh my gosh, I'm glad nothing is broken. I think probably the more he rests the better. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh my word, what a terrifying experience! Hope he is just badly bruised and is back to himself in a few days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh no! Before you said there was swelling, I was thinking about the FCE we went through with Hunter... but sounds like he might have pulled a muscle. The poor thing. :(

I do have a walking harness - shoot me a PM if you want it. I can meet you somewhere or stick it in the mail.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Ouch, I'm so sorry! I hope he is back on the mend ASAP, and you too! How terrifying!

I would consult someone involved in racing for good advice on injuries. Also order a copy of "The Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound" as it is an amazing book, very detailed, and IMHO no Greyhound person or Greyhound vet should be without a copy.

Hugs to you both!

So glad there was no break, poor guy was just trying to have a little fun in the mud. Hoping your sweet boy feels better soon.

Edited by MyBoys