Remember That Wipe Out That Chloe Had Last Sunday?

RobinM

She skinned one of her knees. I cleaned it and put gentocin on it BUT it's 6 days later and she is licking it like crazy and it looks as bad if not worse then it did last week.

What should I do?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Put pants on her. (Unless it looks really dreadful, infected, etc. in which case vet visit.)

Batman used to do that -- worry a small spot into something bigger. If I covered it up an told him not to mess with it, he'd leave it alone.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mountain4greys

I second what Batmom says. Our Skyy love to lick the inside of his legs. I think he knocks into things, but he licks until it's a lot worse than it was when he first hurt himself. It clears up so much faster if they can't lick it.

Put pants on her. (Unless it looks really dreadful, infected, etc. in which case vet visit.)

Batman used to do that -- worry a small spot into something bigger. If I covered it up an told him not to mess with it, he'd leave it alone.

:unsure What are pants for a dog? How do you put them on?

Guest Energy11

You MIGHT need an ORAL antibiotic. Keflex, is preferred for skin type infections. With THAT and what you are already doing, it should be fine.

RE: pants??? How about boys or girls sweat pants with a tail hole cut out??

Curfew has a bad sheath infection (*saw his vet yesterday, and she cultured it)... in the meantime, we are using Panacur ointment, and he is wearing a pair of DH's briefs :-))))))

Good Luck with Chloe, but, to ME, she needs oral antibiotics at this point. Good Luck with this! Sending hugs to the poor girl! Dee

How about doing some dog-friendly cutting to a pair of baby Jordan's old leggings?

good idea but i don't have any here and Jordan only weighs 22 pounds soaking wet. Chloe weighs close to 70.

Good Luck with Chloe, but, to ME, she needs oral antibiotics at this point. Good Luck with this! Sending hugs to the poor girl! Dee

I have amox., doxy and augmentin ( Clavamox)

Pick one and I will start it tonight!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

:unsure What are pants for a dog? How do you put them on?

Here's a way to fashion pants for a dog: Pants

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest Swifthounds

I wouldn't bother with the antibiotics. About the only thing they'll definitely do is kill off her gut flora and maybe offer some inflammation relief. Although the kicking makes it look nasty, it's what dogs do naturally to prevent bacteria growth and spread. It sounds like she's overdoing the licking a bit, but the licking in and of itself is likely the cause of the inflammation and the wound looking worse.

The would is on the leg? I would clean it, put on some neosporin and a tefla pad and pull a knee sock over it. You can cut the toe off the sock for ease of sliding. I've also used pantyhoes with the legs cut off. Sometimes a homemade bite-not collar can be helpful, although the girls tend to be too flexible (and, well, more creative than the boys). A muzzle with a poop cup on it might work.

The would is on the leg?

it's her knee.

Guest Energy11

Well, me? I'd give the Amoxi, 500 mg, twice a day. That is just me, but I have treated MANY skin infections in mine. I'd rather treat for an infection, than have it spread. Good Luck!

Guest RocketDog

Cassie is our licker, and when she worries a small wound into something bigger I never give antibiotics, we just pray some diluted tea tree/lavender oil onto the wound (natural antiseptics, and she hates the taste) and make her wear a shirt and muzzle so she can't get to the wound.

Guest TeddysMom

I have to agree with Energy11, the Amoxi now before it gets bad enough for a trip to the vet for an oozing infection. Do you have any doggy PJ's with legs? Maybe they would be long enough to keep her from licking it. I had a boxer that had to have surgery on his knee and we bandaged it with a telfa pad, cut the foot out of a knee high human support sock, put that on then secured it with some vetwrap top and bottom. Hope you find something that works for Chloe and you.

Mucho better today. Neoporin with pain relief. She took off any and all bandages, socks, ace wraps!!!

but it does look better today!

Thanks all.