Thick Soppy Drool In The Car

Guest killdawabbit

Guest killdawabbit

Has anyone been successful in getting their grey to not be nervous in the car? My stagy drools like crazy even when its not moving. We're talking snot bubble drool! I was thinking about when it got warmer to put him to bed in the car at night instead of his crate for a few weeks. The idea behind this is that eventually he'll start thinking of the car as his territory.

Any suggestions?

We haven't dealt with this with a greyhound but we did with Jilly Bean. She would get sick and throw up within 15 minutes of being in the car. Since the only time she went in the car with her previous owner was to go to the vet or to be boarded, she associated riding in the car with totally negative things.

We started taking her in the car for just 5 minutes at a time, usually to the fast food restaurant down the road, they give out dog treats. We would get her cookie and then back home. She was treated the minute she got out of the car. We did this for a week and then the next week we extended the time to 10 minute rides, again stopping at the same place, getting a cookie and back home. We kept extending the time until we reached an hour. We made sure we took her out at least once a week after that for about a month. She was great by then and now can take cross country trips without getting sick, shaking or pacing.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I honestly don't think spending the night in the car without you in the car at the same time will reduce his anxiety, it may even increase car anxiety. However, I do like the concept. Take JillysFullHouse idea but slow it up a bit. Pop him in the car and sit there with him in the back or in the seat, where ever his usual travel position will be. Hang out pet him and give him treats. After 10 minutes end the session and go back home. Get up to a point where he is excited to go in the car and hang out with you. Then progress to hanging out in the car getting treats while you sit in your usual driving position etc. etc. to the point where you can hang out in the car not moving with you in the drivers seat and him in his spot with no anxiety. Then start driving and follow JillysFullHouse plan. You have the right idea.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest greytkidsmom

There are lots of OTC and herbal med choices for travel anxiety. Desensitization in the way JillysFullHouse describes should help too. These methods work most of the time for most dogs but if they don't, don't be discouraged. With one of our boys we tried a multitude of meds as well as desensitization but to no avail. Our vet prescribed xanax which has been the only thing that have helped calm our boy down for car rides. He rides in his crate in the car when we travel so he has "safe space" and can't compromise our safety by busting up into the front seat.

Guest LindsaySF

Agreed with Judy's advice. Short frequent trips with positive outcomes. A comfy bed might encourage them to lay down. Teagan also liked highway driving better than backroads (less turning). The more trips we took the better he got.

Guest karma98104

Jilly has some great advice! My boy was terrified of the car too... on or off. I do think motion sickness was at the heart of it. He associated the car with nausea, so he hated the car, I can't really blame him- I get sick too when I'm a passenger. So it was a two fold thing- finding a way to end the car sickness ( I bought a truck, it solved it- I think being higher up or having more room did it) and then desensitizing him.

I agree that leaving him alone in the car overnight would more than likely make it worse- but another suggestion would be to feed him his meals in there, with the engine off, so he comes to associate car = delicious!

some people get car sick if they don't drive, so maybe he should drive :lol no seriously, I would not leave him alone in the car all night, but I would put him in and out a few times, and give him a treat, each time you place him in, then start with the above suggestions of short rides with cookies given through out and in the beginning and the end I would do it 3 to 4 times a week Good Luck B)

Edited by kydie

The positive reinforcement methods above worked well with my first grey. I gave her a biscuit when she got in the car (it seemed counter-intuitive to give a dog who gakked up in the car a biscuit, but it worked!) and we took very short drives to fun places, like parks for walks and friends's houses, where she was made much over.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest killdawabbit

There are lots of OTC and herbal med choices for travel anxiety. Desensitization in the way JillysFullHouse describes should help too. These methods work most of the time for most dogs but if they don't, don't be discouraged. With one of our boys we tried a multitude of meds as well as desensitization but to no avail. Our vet prescribed xanax which has been the only thing that have helped calm our boy down for car rides. He rides in his crate in the car when we travel so he has "safe space" and can't compromise our safety by busting up into the front seat.

Interestingly enough, motion sickness is associated with low serotonin levels. Running and exercise increase serotonin.