Whining And Peeing?

Guest caelanarcher

Guest caelanarcher

Aaron and I are in Pennsylvania, visiting my parents for the holidays. We've been here since Friday evening, and now we're running into some problems.

Friday night, everything was fine. Saturday, fine. He whined a bit when everybody went up to bed at night (I stay downstairs with him), but nothing too bad.

Sunday, I went out, and since my mother was working in her office in the basement, I crated Aaron. I was gone for just a few hours. For an hour after I left, he HOWLED and HOWLED. Then my mother came and let him out, since she was going to be on the main floor with him. When she wasn't looking, he peed on a rug. We shrugged it off as "oh, he's upset that I'm gone", but he's never shown that behavior when I've crated him in the past (I have housemates who would let me know if he was that noisy).

Today he did it again. My father put on his hat and shoes to run to the store, and Aaron started getting excited; my dad takes Aaron for long jogs, and that's one of Aaron's favorite thing ever. Well, Dad left without Aaron, and Aaron started whining. I asked him to lie down, and he settled for a bit, then started whining from his crate (which was open). I was working on my laptop, and Aaron stood up, walked over to a (different) rug, and peed. This evening, after his walk and dinner, my dad and I went out and brought home some food. We sat down to eat, and within 30 seconds, Aaron was squatting over a (third) rug, peeing.

Relevant information: Aaron goes out for a long run in the morning or early afternoon. Since he's in a new place, we take him out to pee/poop about every 3-4 hours. He's drinking a healthy amount, but I'm fairly sure that's not the cause; before the last incident, he'd gone on a walk and peed/marked about six times. I'm pretty sure he was running on empty. I don't have a regular vet in this area, and unless I took him to the e-vet, I doubt I could get him an appointment before Saturday anyway.

So, any ideas what could be causing this, or how to make it stop? I'm not upset about the rugs, but it's clear that he's unhappy about something, and that breaks my heart.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I doubt its a medical issue. As far as a fix, make a modified belly-band. Take a towel and fold it to a strip about 6" wide, then wrap around his penis, and tie on his back so it doesnt come off. He is in a new environment, and as you say, drinking more water. I would suspect that as the cause. I would consider taking him out every 2 hours while you are awake. I had a female that did that once at our in-laws. She was new to us, and when she pees, is the fastest at it. She will snif for about 2-3 seconds, then WHAM squat and pee. Not much warning. She had a few accidents in our house as well. She was a shy nervous little girl for the first 6 months or so that we had her. Is your boy new to you (less than 1 year)? Is this the first time you have taken him to a new home, and spent time away from him in said new home? He sounds like he has been taken out of his "schedule" and may be a bit out of whack. The two things I would try are the belly-band (for the accidents), as well as taking out more frequently. As far as the whining while you are gone, get a kong and fill with some kibble, cap with peanut butter, and leave it with him while you are gone. If possible, leave a radio or television on in the room he is being kept so that it drowns out the noise from other people being in the house, that is probably why he makes noise since he just wants to be around the humans in the house, not separated from them.

Guest caelanarcher

I've had him since September, and although we've visited my parents twice before, this is his longest visit. His jogs are 1-1.5 miles, which is similar to what he does at home.

The belly-band is a great idea. I'm also going to work on tiring him out a little more over the day, since it seems like the whining/peeing might be related to boredom/nerves. If I can burn off some of the nervous energy, he might settle in a little faster.