Probable Broken Tail!

Here we are in Phx. for Christmas vacation, and Rascal somehow broke his tail. at least that is my diagnosis.

I don't know how it happened. either it bent in half when he layed down hard on it? can that happen? or someone stepped on it ?

I know it was NOT caught in a door, it happened in the car on the drive down,,,,, weird! no indication of when it happened either, no cry out or anything ~

anyway:

there is a big knot about half way down and a little broken skin at the spot. no blood. in the begining there was just oosing of clear liquid, and it does look like a white "inside" is coming out... don't know what that is

I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide, put anti-bacterial ointment on it, wrapped it really well for stability, poor rascal looks pretty emabrassed about the whole bandage thing. but i must say the wrap stayed on!!

NOW, 3 days later, I just did my first bandage change. it seems infected! and smelly!

I have Cephalexin 500 mg (rascal weighs 72lbs) do you think i could start giving him 2x dailey?

I know it also hurts, i've been giving him Tramadol too.

I don't know what else to do with it,, other than now take him to a vet (some of you gave me recomendations a couple weeks ago, so i do know where to go,, thank you!) what will the vet do, other that what i'm doing. if it doesn't heal an amputation might have to happen, but until then..??

thanks for your help!

and Rascal thanks you too!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

For sure I would get him to a vet ASAP because it sounds as though infection has set in and any kind of infection can spread if not treated. The vet I would think would put him on antibiotics to stop the infection and maybe give you something to help heal it. If it does not heal then you may have to choose amputation. But first just get him to a vet to look at it.

Guest mcsheltie

Without seeing it, I think it sounds like he had an abscess on his tail and it has broken open. The "white insides" you saw is puss.

You need to determine for sure if it is broken or an abscess. If it is an abscess it needs to be left uncovered and do not put any ointment on it. It needs to drain and dry up. Abscesses need to heal from the inside out. If it is broken it needs to be wrapped.

But no matter which it is, he needs to be started antibiotics right away.

But no matter which it is, he needs to be started antibiotics right away.

do you think the Cephalexin at 500 mg would be good to start?

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest goofydog

I'd rather get Rascal into the vet today at regular price than have to do the e-vet in another day or 2. It really should be looked at. Just sayin'.

Gentle scritches to Rascal.

Guest LindsaySF

I'd rather get Rascal into the vet today at regular price than have to do the e-vet in another day or 2. It really should be looked at. Just sayin'.

Gentle scritches to Rascal.

My thoughts as well.

Guest Energy11

Okay, do the Cephalixin (1) 500mg, (3) times daily. That will help, but as the others have suggested, based on what you are describing, I would definitely FIND A VET ASAP, just to get it looked at an evaluated. If you wait a day, you will be into a holiday weekend, making vetting wayyy more expensive, and harder to find. Better to be safe than sorry, NOW, than going into a long holiday weekend with a problem. If, indeed the tail is broken, it will need to be amputated, which is the ONLY cure. Good Luck! Sorry this had to happen on vacation. Isn't this ALWAYS the way?

Edited by Energy11

I would start the antibiotic you have and would also give 3x a day. And I know you don't want to spend your vacation time at the vet, but I would get him in before the holiday.

Please keep us posted and wishing you the best. I'm 4 hours away but if you need help, please just call, I'll pm you right now with my phone #

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thank you all,, I've made an apt. for tomorrow morning with a vet who came highly recomended from several of you here - Dr. Katie Andre at Bethany Animal Hosp. She isn't the closest vet, but I'm trusting your references!

My Rascal is definately feeling down. but his tail is hanging heavy it wrapped up. and i'm sure it hurts, he is just the strong silent type :blush

I'll let you know what i find out tomorrow!

:hope

Edited by 3DogNite

Sending hugs for your sweet Rascal. It seems odd that a tail would get broken from any of the scenarios you gave, but, stranger things have happened...they tend to injure themselves in weird ways!

Ace actually broke off the end of her tail in my tv armoire. Couldn't tell you HOW she got her tail in there. Today a few years later it still seems like a dream. Of course I had to rush her to the evet and they had to amputate up a couple more bones because of the tearing. It was the most freakish thing I've ever seen!

I've dealt with lots of cases of happy tail that have ended in amputation too...if it's icky definitely keep it open if you can and start the antibiotics. Hope you can get some answers at the vet's office :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Rasca Update!

1st: I LOVE Dr. Katie Andre!!! she is great! and what a treat to have a vet who is SOOO grey-savey to go to!! my vets are wonderful in SLC, but this was actually an eye-opening experience for me!

Rascal: His lower tail is still alive with blood flow. However the trama to the middle of the tail is pretty bad, and is infected. Dr. was really impress with my wrap job! And she was very happy that i had started the Cephelaxin, only I wish i had started it earlier. I am to keep it wrapped and do hydro-therapy daily with daily bandage changes. Thankfully I travel with a FULL supply of all kinds of bandages :P

Dr. Andre said if the tail looks better on Monday, then we should be good to go for full healing, HOWEVER,, she really didn't think it would heal, and that we are more realistically looking at amputaion of his beautiful, LONG, white tipped tail! :(

so my weekend will be full of Christmas turkey, hydro-therapy and Tail wrapping! ;) I'm lucky that Rascal is a very stoic boy, and rarely shows pain or even being uncomfortable. He usually has an iron stomach too, so the extra antibiotic and tramadol shouldn't be a problem.

so, we are not out of the woods yet, the jurry is still out. I'll let you know more on moday after his follow-up apt.

Until then,,, MERRY CHRISTMAS!