Question About Wormers

Our foster dog, Jack, has giardia and coccidia.

Tomorrow I am supposed to give him 1 1/2 tablets of Drontal Plus.

On Thursday I am to start him on six days of Albon, and six days of Panacur C. The Panacur is a powder form to be mixed with food. The Albon and Panacur will be given concurrently.

My question is this: should I expect him to have diarrhea from these meds? And are most dogs willing to eat the food with the Panacur mixed in?

Just trying to prepare myself....:)

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest KennelMom

I've never given Albon, but with Panacur and Drontal I've never had a dog get the Big D (that I can recall).

Getting a dog to eat food w/Panacur mixed in is hit or miss...usually miss. I only give the liquid version now...I can shoot it in the back of their mouth and be done with it.

Guest KennelMom

I'd have some canned food on hand...maybe cook up some ground beef or other meat. I'd probalby go the meat route...basically put something in there that is more yummy and aromatic than the panacur is nasty.

Jack is four years old. They told me at the vet that they are seeing coccidia in almost ALL of the greyhounds lately (this is the vet who does all the work for our adoption group). I know Rascal had it, too, when we first got her (eight years ago); however, she was just a little over two years old at the time.

I'll be sure to have lots of canned food on hand--need to get some anyway. I wonder if tuna would help to mask the panacur?

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest Bean_Scotch

I've given Albon and Panacur. The only side effect of Panacur I've seen is vommiting. It happened to one of the three dogs I was giving it to. I take canned food, put in bowl, put in panacur and put in more canned on top of the panacur, feed dog. It's worked great!

Try pilchards in tomato or canned mackerel if you need to add meds of any kind. They're stinky, and the dogs usually love them!

Sid was given a new type of wormer recently (Milbemax - Milbemycin oxime and Praziquantel) and I wondered if there would be any side effects, but no. Never have seen any with any of the wormers we've used, but we've never been given Panacur.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

My guys will happily gulp down cheese. And if I pour a powder into the center of a slice of cheese, fold the slice over to seal in the powder, and offer it to a dog, the cheese is gulped down quickly. (That's how I give them thyroid pills without worrying that someone's fat tongue will flick the pill out of sight.)

Sam actually will eat foot with Panacur in it, but then he'll eat almost anything. (I just caught him drinking my Diet Mountain Dew. Sam-on-caffeine doesn't bear thinking about.) But when I had to give him Tylan, I used the powder-in-cheese-slice trick and had no problems.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

We've used Panacur off and on for many years. No one has ever rejected food with Panacur on it. We've never had any bad side effects; it's good stuff!

I didn't know it came in liquid form; that's good to know.