Steak Ate A Bag Of Milk Chocolate Chips

kamsmom

I was up with my daughter at 4am this morning (she had her tonsils out yesterday) and I left the gate to the kitchen down. :( When we got up about 8am I saw the empty bag and knew someone got the chips but assumed all 5 ate them. So, thinking they all got some I decided that it wasn't enough to worry about and that I was just gonna have some dogs with diarrhea later. When I was feeding breakfast Steak wouldn't eat. I thought he just had an upset tummy so decided to give him a while and try again later. Then about an hour ago he threw up... just a small amount tho. So then I said out loud that I was going to get the peroxide and take him outside...at that moment Steak vomited three times in a row :( It is a lot of chocolate. Now I am sure he ate the entire bag himself. It was the large bag of chips.

I have him outside and he is drinking a lot of water. He isn't showing any other signs of distress. I looked up chocolate toxicity and I think he is ok, especially now that he has vomited most of it up. But, is there any thing else I should be doing?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

He will likely be fine (milk chocolate isn't as bad as dark chocolate), just let him drink as much water as he wants, and give him a good half-day at least before trying to feed him again. Give his poor tum a chance to settle.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Thanks. I just couldn't remember any other "tricks" or rememdies. I have a call to my vet. Like I said, Steak isn't in any distress. Right now my husband is out on the back porch drinking a cup of coffee and just watching him. Steak is asleep on the dog bed outside. He has vomited once more outside.

Milk chocolate is about an ounce per pound of boy weight. So he can eat lots of it without really bad ill effects.

Since he's already puked some up and seems fine, just keep an eye on him and I wouldn't bother feeding him until later tonight if he shows interest in eating again. Just make sure he has water around all day

Guest tammymacb

Awww, Beth. Been there, done that.

Steak should be fine. Milk chocolate has so little cocoa in it. Willy has broken down the baby gate and let himself into DDs room before :rolleyes: to get at her Halloween candy....

Several years ago, our cocker unwrapped and ate an entire box of chocolates under the Christmas tree. On Christmas Eve. With the exception of the vomit and the diarrhea that was everywhere when we came home, she was fine. Not a whole lot of fun to clean up though. There were no sugarplums dancing that night.

Sounds like he'll be OK; what brand were they? The "good stuff" is more likely to be dangerous than off-the-shelf, cheapo candy (which often has virtually no theobromine in it anyway).

Of course it was the good stuff! Nestle Tollhouse :) I rarely cook or bake so when I do, I do it well :lol

He has vomited more but has not in the last hour. Thank goodness I was home, I can't imagine the mess that would have happened if I weren't here. He is tired now but he is doing well. Right now he is sleeping with his head in my lap. :wub:

I was able to make cookies, just not chocolate chip cookies :P

Guest DoofBert

Yep.. Bert downed about 12 ounces of milk chocolate melting disks.... He puked them up.... I did take him to e vet cause he was walking funny.. he must have pulled muscle during the puke process. Anyway, he was back to himself in about 12 hours... Although, he did have the big D.

Hope things stay quiet at your place.