Needs To Put On Weight

Guest houndhome

Guest houndhome

Tigger has been doing really well with his chemo and radiation for his lymphoma since July until a couple of weeks ago. He apparently got some reaction to one of the chemo drugs (vincristine - caused neropathy in his back legs) and also got a UTI. With the nerve issue and the infection, he lost quite a bit of weight. The neropathy has worn off, and the infection is gone, and he is back to his old self. The thing is, he needs to put back on some weight. He has a great appetite, is eating a good food, Wellness Core, and I am trying to give him high calorie treats like Salmon treats, but I don't want to give too much at once. Does anyone have any good ideas on stuff to give him to add some weight back? He can't do eggs, and whatever he gets has to go in a small portion to his greyhound sisters, and they definitely don't need any more weight. Any ideas?

Guest Energy11

I don't know anything about chemo in canines, but I do remember reading about puppy food in a recent thread in food and dietary here on GT.

Puppy food is high in calories, fat and carbs. Just might do the trick! I might try some high quality puppy kibble and canned, and go from there.

Hoping your baby feels better and gains weight soon! Hugs from us here!

Guest 4dogscrazy

The higher priced and better rated food does not have enough carbs and "junk" in it to put on major weight. It's best for maintaining a healthy weight! I have two of mine on Pro Plan Beef and they are thriving on it. One of my dogs I have been trying to put weight on for a year!!! I also slip in some Taste of the Wild to keep things balanced and interesting to them, but honestly go backwards in your quest for the best food on the planet and get them something with a higher carb ratio. Not that Pro Plan is the bottom of the barrel either, but it has done the trick in my house!

Guest houndhome
The higher priced and better rated food does not have enough carbs and "junk" in it to put on major weight. It's best for maintaining a healthy weight! I have two of mine on Pro Plan Beef and they are thriving on it. One of my dogs I have been trying to put weight on for a year!!! I also slip in some Taste of the Wild to keep things balanced and interesting to them, but honestly go backwards in your quest for the best food on the planet and get them something with a higher carb ratio. Not that Pro Plan is the bottom of the barrel either, but it has done the trick in my house!

I didn't think about that. I'll ask Tigger's oncologist what she thinks since she advised a high protein diet when he started treatment. Maybe mixing some higher carb food in might help?

Edited by houndhome

If you are feeding carbs, I have a whole bunch of things I used to feed Sutra to get him to gain weight (he couldn't have anything high in fat)

Group A

Macaroni

mashed potatoes

oatmeal (plain)

Group B

turkey baby food

low fat cottage cheese

rice

Group C

boiled and raw hamburger

boiled and raw ground turkey

vanilla Ensure

For meals I'd mix up some macaroni with cottage cheese and ground turkey, mashed potatoes with cottage cheese and rice, kibble with Ensure, etc. etc. Basically one from Group A, one from Group B, one from Group C.

I'd give him as much as he would eat - usually a salad serving bowl (from my Corelle dishes, not a HUGE bowl but bigger than a regular bowl) full to the brim. I fed him at least twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day if my schedule allowed...breakfast, dinner, and then before bedtime.

Now he eats Solid Gold Wolf King. Good amt of calories and protein, low in fat.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Meat with some fat in it -- such as beef -- will be your most concentrated source of calories, provided he can tolerate it. A nice hamburger every meal, teaspoon-sized bite for each sister ......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't know what you are feeding as the main food but if he can tolerate the richness of it, Blue Wilderness has 476 calories a can and 586 calories a cup. A little goes a long way.

I don't what kind of appetite he has? Evo also has high calories but again, very rich.

When I needed to get weight on Polli during and after her chemo, she ate EVO kibble mixed in with boiled chicken breast. She got as many cookies as she wanted, she was after all the mommy!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest bigorangedog

We feed low carb also to our boy with cancer (just post-amp for osteo). He gets Evo. For lower-carb treats, we feed peanut butter and cheese, both high in calories and fat. Can he do dairy? Maybe mix in some cream cheese or plain yogurt into his food (I've found that the traditional Greek yogurt is lowest-carb)? Or the highest-fat hamburger you can find, as someone else suggested. We also mix some flax oil into Whitey's food, for Omega-3s and lignans, but that also adds calories and fat.