Adopting A Dog That Had A Long Racing Career

Guest cactusdude

Guest 4dogscrazy

I think a five year old dog is somewhat more difficult to teach certain things--or at least mine has been--but other than that, he's wonderful. Tough as nails too!

This is the truth, the young boy can be taught all kinds of things, like fetch! and my older racer just wants to relax, no thank you to the commands! She IS tougher than him, cleaning a cut on her causes her no distress and she is very used to being groomed. Have fun, this is the best part in my opinion!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm going to be disagreeable again :lol . My boy adopted at almost 5 was pretty easy to teach things. Housetrained from day 1, didn't get into much trouble, went a good ways in traditional obedience (which we didn't start until he was 6) .... Except for prey drive, he was by far the easiest of my sighthounds to redirect when he engaged in undesirable activities, and you generally had to do that only once. Wise, gentlemanly fellow.

I think learning is another personality thing. Age is just a number. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 4dogscrazy
Oh, I'm going to be disagreeable again :lol . My boy adopted at almost 5 was pretty easy to teach things. Housetrained from day 1, didn't get into much trouble, went a good ways in traditional obedience (which we didn't start until he was 6) .... Except for prey drive, he was by far the easiest of my sighthounds to redirect when he engaged in undesirable activities, and you generally had to do that only once. Wise, gentlemanly fellow.

I think learning is another personality thing. Age is just a number. :)

:lol Could be a boy/girl thing too!

Guest jerrybird

My first grey was 5, had great teeth and a long career. I loved him to bits and he was what I would term a real 'gentleman'. He never made a mistake, was perfectly mannered and 'leaned' on everyone. The younger grey never raced, had absolutely horrible teeth and was a rascal when he first came. Different dogs, different situations, different personalities. We loved them both. So go with the one that you think you can best connect with and kind of 'complete' your own self!