Sedatives For Greyhounds

Patrick is at the point where if he is wearing the no-bite collar, he is extremely agitated, including pacing frantically to the point where I'm worried it's too much for his injured shoulder but the minute it comes off he's at the wound, and it's really important he doesn't tear at it or get the staples out. His vet prescribed xanax to be given at 1mg with the possibility of going as high as 4mg (apparently dogs can take a lot more than people). I have a call in to yet another vet in the practice (neither the vet who did the surgery nor his vet are until Monday.) Unfortunately, watching him 24 hours a day, including getting very little sleep, really can't continue for the two weeks he'll need to heal.

So, I wonder if instead of asking about more Xanax if it would make more sense to ask for something with a much longer half-life so it will stay in his system. In a human, Klonopin is ideal for this kind of use because it builds up in the blood stream, where as Xanax is in and out very quickly. Does anyone know if dogs can take Klonopin? Are there additional issues to be concerned about with giving it to a greyhound? All my web search's seemed to turn up places to illegally buy it without prescriptions, not very useful.

Thanks to everyone who has already expressed their concern--the wound is doing nicely and with the drain and hot compresses we're not having much of a problem with fluid accumulation which was a concern.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Instead of drugs, what about a muzzle with ducktape on the outside so there are no edges to catch the staples, or maybe the rolled up towel type of collar? Just another idea.

Hadn't thought about the muzzle, thanks, I'll try that. The no bite collar is a commercial version of the towel type I think.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Energy11

I would think the Xanax would help. I prefer Valium, but they are both in the same families.

Hopefully, the muzzle idea will help. There are many natural supplements out there to calm him, but they cannot be mixed with the prescription ones.

Love and hugs from here for a speedy recovery!

Guest bigorangedog

Is the wound in a place where you could cover it by putting a coat or t-shirt on him? That's what we've been doing with our Hank who has a wound on his ribcage. He licks it, but the shirt keeps him from making any headway. You can stick a maxi-pad on the inside of the shirt to catch drainage from the wound.

I spoke with the vet. He feels that by taking the collar off when he gets agitated Patrick is training us that if he makes enough of a fuss, it goes away. He said most dogs will adjust in a couple days once they realize it's not coming off.

Right he is resting and has been leaving the wound alone (DH is keeping an eye on him), so the plan is to try the muzzle when he wakes up. He is used to being muzzled at the dog sitter, and while he's not crazy about it, doesn't go beserk so if that keeps him away from it, the problem should be solved.

If not, we'll try putting the collar on and leaving it on, and continuing to treat with the Xanax until he (hopefully) gets used to it.

I feel bad for him, he keeps forgetting not to do things like shake his head, or scratch the dirt and then realizes it hurts, my poor baby.

FWIW, we put Minerva on 10 mg of Valium after the neck surgery. The vet was equivocal about this, but we convinced them that she was a hell-raiser and it might help. The last thing we needed was her yanking on the leash post-op trying to take off after a cat or something. It worked very nicely.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

The duct taped muzzle has done the trick (at least today). He's much calmer (and no Xanax) and doesn't seem to be able to get at the wound.