Nsaids And Tummy?

Guest amour

All the NSAIDs are basically the same. Some use pepcid or carafate with them to help with the stomach issues. Not all pups have stomach issues with them, mine don't.

As for kidney/liver damage, I feel that doing blood work before the start of using them and every 6 months while on them is the safest way to go.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

The are all pretty much the same. Deramaxx has the worst rep for stomach perfs. Metacam oral seems to be better tolerated than the others.

Whichever one you get, ask for stomach meds and make sure you get a print out of the side affects.

re blood work comment above: When starting out you should get a blood panel done, then at 2 weeks (not 6) then at 6 weeks then at 6 months. I still say (as does the vet) if we would have done the 2 week check, we would have saved Eliza.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Energy11

When I give any NSAIDS, I always give with a 20 mg Pepcid AC for the tummy.

I worked with an ER Doc on the human side, and whenever she prescribed Ibuprophen products for the patients, she gave Maylox with it! I will never forget her logic there! Pretty cool, and same logic as giving Pepcid AC with a canine NSAID. I also give my NSAIDS with plain yogurt to line the tummy :-))

Edited by Energy11

If one MUST use NSAIDs, I would recommend supplementing with fish oil. Or coconut oil. There may be a mild protective effect.

ETA: And glutamine. No proof any of this would work, but my gut feeling (ha!) is that it may produce less damage to the intestinal wall.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)