Deramax

Guest TLH0739

Guest TLH0739

Just wonderng if any greys on deramax long term for arthritis? Patrick was started on it for pain for an infection in paw. It has reallly helped. He is walking and running around. I did google deramax and found out it causes liver failure. I talked to my vet and she said we could keep him on it but wants blood work every 6 months. What does your vet do? :rolleyes:

It seems that blood work at 6-month intervals is standard with NSAID use. Aston's on meloxicam (generic of metacam) - I'll take him to the vet in about 3 months to get checked for liver issues.

Edit to add: I just started him on it about three months ago; he is only 6 years old, but has an old injury in his left hind leg that has turned arthritic. So, we're in for the long haul on NSAIDs, it seems.

Edited by o_rooly

Guest Energy11

I know many people whose dogs use Deramaxx or the other NSAIDS on a regular basis. I would always give it with food, and, or Pepcid AC, and have his blood values checked about every six months.

Risks of taking NSAIDS over long periods include liver and kidney damage, and, of course, GI bleeding, just like when we humans take them.

When I worked ER, one of the docs there always prescribed Maylox or a Pepcid AC type of medication, when she prescribed NSAIDS to help the stomach. I like that idea!

Good Luck!

My vet prefers it over Rimydal.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greyvettech

Where I work, we just recommend lab work every six months for NSAID users... Rimadyl is twice daily dosing where Deramaxx is once daily that's why a lot of our clients opt for Deramaxx. Both can cause liver and or kidney problems when used long term but in most cases the instant relief out ways the potential long term risks....you also have to take the age of the pet in to consideration.

No matter which NSAID, my vet will always do blood work before putting the dogs on it and every 6 months after.

I've had several Greys on them long term and none of them had liver or kidney damage. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless