Pale Gums

Guest ThunderPaws

Guest ThunderPaws

Tater did his first blood donation today at the NC vet school for their small animal emergency clinic! :colgate

His health tests checked out excellent and he did great, he is very outgoing and thinks the vet school is a neat place to visit. After the donation they gave him yummy treats and some A/D can food, I think.

Now, about three hours later, I notice that his gums are pretty pale. Is there anything I can feed him to get his color back quicker? He acts fine and ate a few treats, I just want to make sure my Tater boy is ok. My other two blood donor greyhounds don't get pale gums, so this is the first time dealing with it.

Thanks!

Guest KennelMom

I would give the vet clinic a call...I'm not sure if pale gums are normal with blood donation or not, but I'd want to ask one of the docs there...

Hope all turns out well!

I'm a mother hen about the hounds. If it was me I'd call them. Pale gums concern me-shock etc? Check his capillary response time. Make a white spot on his gums with your fingernail and the color should fill back in almost immediately. Can't be too careful. Nothing wrong with being overprotective! Just my opinion.

Guest Energy11

I, too, would call the vet clinic. Pale gums are really not normal after a blood donation, especially, given a greyhound's high red blood count. Hope all is well! Good Luck.

Guest ThunderPaws

After feeding him more treats, chicken strips, a yummy hamburger and a full bowl of kibble, he is finally getting some color back, yay. Bet he'll have some good gas tonight. :lol

I was probably over-reacting, but better safe than sorry! Thanks, Greytalkers! :)

Guest Energy11
After feeding him more treats, chicken strips, a yummy hamburger and a full bowl of kibble, he is finally getting some color back, yay. Bet he'll have some good gas tonight. :lol

I was probably over-reacting, but better safe than sorry! Thanks, Greytalkers! :)

Glad to hear that! Just needed a food boost. If he donates again, you'll know what to do, and I am sure he won't protest :-)) HOPE you don't have tooooo much gas! :eek:eek:lol