Lotion/cream For Moisturizing Skin?

My boy is finally healing from a staph infection on his face (we've been battling this for months).

However, I have noticed that he is still scratching (and I'm scared he will rip his face up, so we are still using an e-collar) - however, I think part of the issue now is that is skin is just dry & flaky. We have been given so many shampoos, wipes and ointments to use that it looks like his skin is just plain dried out!

What can I use to gently moisturize his skin? Bag balm? Vaseline? Is there something better that will be totally non-reactive but that will help condition his skin a bit?

I'd probably check with the vet before using anything on the chance that the itching is still being caused by lingering staph. We had to wash Wizard's groin with a special peroxide based shampoo to "open up" the pores while he was on antibiotic for a staph infection. I wonder if covering the area up with something sticky or greasy would just allow the bacteria to percolate, so to speak (yes, I know, that is not a scientific term!). Wizard's cleared up after 3 weeks on an antibiotics (i forget which one, now) and daily washing with Virbac's Pyoben, which we had to leave on for 5 min. before rinsing off.

Oh that's no fun. My Indy suffered through all that staph B.S. when he was treated for allergies -- antibiotics, ointments, more antibiotics, more ointments! What a vicious cycle (BTW, all of Indy's skin problems resolved when he started on thyroid meds). Bye-bye staph infections!

One of his vets recommended Heska F.A. granules www.heska.com -- which is similar to The Missing Link; some folks give their pups fish oil, e.g., Grizzly Salmon Oil). Heska is an Omega 3 and 6 fatty acid supplement - looks kinda like flax meal. I sprinkle it on kibble and moisten with warm water. Easy. You can order online; some vets carry it (cheaper online).

Anyway, Indy is brindle and had a very dry, flaky coat and was always itchy. I think the Heska has really helped along with good nutrition, thyroid meds, and frequent brushing.

Sorry I can't recommend a gentle topical. The omega supplements work from the inside out.

Hugs to your pupper. Hope he gets better soon. :dogcookie

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest Greensleeves

I'm with 1.)Checking with your vet and 2.)Adding some EFAs (we use 3V caps, which are fish oil).

But if your vet says it's OK, probably any mild lotion would be fine. Lubriderm is lightweight and fast-absorbing. For our allergy dogs, we use Eucerin Calming Cream (which is supposed to fight itchies).

Thanks, all. We've been using fish oil caps - he's funny though and he'll eat all his food and spit them out. So I started splitting them open and putting them on his food -- but he hasn't been eating well over the last few days - I think the antibiotics are making his tummy upset.

I had NO idea that skin infections were so difficult to treat. It's crazy!!!