? Allergy ?

Guest jillz

Posted on this a while back and have since been to the vet but am still baffled! My 7 y.o. has for about 2 months had very red paws and licked all the hair off of them. Took her to the vet and had all kinds of scrapings done which came back normal, put her on prednisone and antibiotic for 2 weeks, she's stopped licking her feet but they are still very red. The Vet suspects food allergy but isn't sure and I hate to switch her off her food. She's been on the Kirkland Lamb & Rice for over a year and it's the one food that gives her firm poops! I also bought the prescription (expensive) shampoo and have been washing her feet (although not every day like the vet suggested!). I suspect she's developed an allergy to grass or leaves, so do I just wait it out, or do I switch to the prescription dog food with very few ingredients, but is crazy expensive? Have a follow up with the vet, but I feel like she's just guessing at this point, so I'd welcome some expert opinions! Thanks and sorry so long!

Guest lanielovesgreys

I had this issue. I went with the expensive vet diet (Purina HA) just to get her to zero. Find out which of her issues were allergy related. Just made it easy for me to pick out when she was allergic, if that makes sense. I only did the vet diet for 2 months, saw solid results after a few weeks. After she was normal, I tried food that were least likely to make her allergic (fish & potato) and we're just adding things one at a time. So far we've discovered she's allergic to rawhides, peanut butter, red meat (we think), and rice. It looks like she might also be allergic to pig ears, which would totally suck because she loves them so much.

Guest Energy11

If it is a food allergy, which is what it sounds like, my friend's grey eats Natural Balance Whitefish and Sweet Potato, and loves it. I THINK it is less expensive than the prescription diets. Might want to try that, and Benedryl (not the allergy/sinus kind) Can be given, 50 mg, every four to six hours for allergies. Good Luck!

If you think it is a food allergy rather than environmental, I honestly would do the prescrip food and NOTHING else for a couple months -- no supplements, no treats other than the food. As lanielovesgreys describes, it's the best way to get things under control *and* figure out just what the problem is. The food is $$$ ... but so are ongoing vet visits, KWIM?

The alternative is a true elimination diet. One novel protein (some people add one carb) and nothing else -- no supplements, no other treats, NOTHING -- and then proceed as lanielovesgreys describes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest twogreytkids

My vet suggested wiping my dog's feet with baby wipes when he came in from the yard in case he was allergic to grass. That wasn't it.

I then eliminated wheat from his diet. He now has nice furry paws and he still walks on the grass.

Marcy

If you suspect an allergy to grass or weeds, etc... I'd do the foot washing daily as your vet suggested, and I'd cover the pup's feet when he goes outside--babysocks with tape work in dry weather. You can also give antihistimines.

Did he have any foot problems a year ago at the same time of year? Or is this the very first time?

I don't know if you want to attack possible food allergies and contact allergies at the same time or not. Doing one at a time could help you find out the cause of the problem, but doing both together might speed healing.

If you suspect an allergy to grass or weeds, etc... I'd do the foot washing daily as your vet suggested, and I'd cover the pup's feet when he goes outside--babysocks with tape work in dry weather. You can also give antihistimines.

Did he have any foot problems a year ago at the same time of year? Or is this the very first time?

I don't know if you want to attack possible food allergies and contact allergies at the same time or not. Doing one at a time could help you find out the cause of the problem, but doing both together might speed healing.

Thanks everyone! No she had no problems last year, this is the first time. Although a friend of mine who has horses just told me that due to wet spring, summer there is more mold in the grass and leaves this time of year so they are seeing a rise in horses with allergic reactions. Wish there was an easy way to know what's causing the problem, nothing's ever easy!

Check the ingredients on the treats you're feeding. If there's wheat in them, try cutting them out completely. You can give a bit of extra kibble at treat time, or try to find treats that are wheat-free (check out Nutro's "Chops" or "Lamb and Rice" treats).

Wheat appears to be such a common allergen ("common" in terms of "lots of dogs are allergic to it" and "common" in terms of "shows up in all kinds of foods and treats"), and this would give you an inexpensive and relatively painless thing to check--before you have to shell out big bucks for prescription food or more tests.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Usually if they have a food allergy you'll see more than just red itchy feet. Most often they will have a itchy face too. My bet is on seasonal/environmental allergies. I would get him on an antihistamine--somehing like Chlortrimeton, Zyrtec, Claritin.... Ask your vet about the dosages.

excellent advice. I've already switched all her treats out and am only giving her Kirkland Lamb & Rice Kibble and also using that for treats (I'll have to check to see if there is wheat in there). And I'll ask about an antihistimine Friday when I go to the vet, you mean something other than Benadryl right?? Thanks so much.

excellent advice. I've already switched all her treats out and am only giving her Kirkland Lamb & Rice Kibble and also using that for treats (I'll have to check to see if there is wheat in there). And I'll ask about an antihistamine Friday when I go to the vet, you mean something other than Benadryl right?? Thanks so much.

Yup. I've seen other antihistamines be more effective over Benadryl. Benadryl is great for an allergic reaction but, for day to day allergies I feel you have better options out there. Chlortrimeton works really well with my boy and I don't appreciate any side-affects.