Corns On Greys

Guest ghessentials

Guest ghessentials

We deal with rescues and have had 2 recently loose toenails and develop corns on the same toe. Does anyone know a reason for this, or just coincidence?

I would guess coincidence. I know of several hounds with corns, but none have ever had toenail problems. And the one I know who has toenail problems (SLO) has never suffered from corns. :dunno

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I don't know about loose toenails, but you might do a search on SLO.

I recently put together my notes on corns for a friend. In quotations are some comments from GT members on the different treatments:

All about corns: http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corns.htm Another article about corns: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1..._of.html?cat=53 More articles on corns: http://www.greyhoundgang.org/medical-cornsandwarts.php [/size] Different approaches for treating corns: 1. Dremmeling or sanding. This would need constant follow-ups. It will not make the corn go away but can help to ease the pressure on that toe. 2. Applying bee propolis. I bielieve this comes in a capsule form (like a fish oil). Break the capsule open and rub on the corn. Repeat every day. It may take a month before you see any changes. Some folks have used the human Kerasolv and Abreva but do't let the dog lick it. After applying, cover the area with a small bandaid. By the time the bandaid falls off the solution will have been absorbed. Bee propolis can also be added to your dog's food. "According to some of the posts in the Yahoo Corn Hounds group, the propolis needs to be over 65% to be effective, the higher percentage, the better. The topical is very sticky and the best way to keep it on is to put small square band-aids on top -- by the time the band-aids come off, the stuff should have absorbed. I have not tried the propolis, but just got some to try on Mandy. I also have toddler socks to put over her feet, which I do anyway when I put the Kerasolv.

Propolis " "Propolis is a bee product. Here's some info from Wikipedia.

You can find it in various forms, but I got it in capsules, so I hadn't gotten around the idea of mixing it with the aloe (lazy!), so I just opened the cap and put it in her food. It smells good. Kind of yeasty."

"We added 500mg twice daily and Kid's corns are now starting to pop up and I'm hoping that they will fall out. I can actually "pick" them out with my nail." "The topical is made by opening up the pill capsule and mixing it with a little bit of aloe. You do that...it's not found already mixed Be careful when you open the capsule...so you don't lose any of the contents... make sure you have a clean (and dry) working surface so that if the capsules opens when you cut it and some of the contents spreads out on the counter...you can gather it all back up and mix it all with the little bit of aloe. (I also bought the aloe that was at the health food place...so that it was the best out there)." 3. Apply duct tape. Yes, a small piece of duct tape just a bit bigger than the corn. Just keep putting another piece of duct tape on again as the previous falls off. This seems to work although it may take a few weeks. If your dog tires to lick the paw, cover the foot (with a toddler sock with a rubberized bottom for traction.) 4. Cutting it out. Some vets will grab the corn and snip it. This method does not always get the root and it can be very painful. 5. Hulling the corn with a dental elevator. This is the preferred method although many vets have not heard of it. It lessens the chances that the corn will grow back. No anesthesia is needed. A vet might charge $35-50 to do this (hopefully with experience). The hulling technique: http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm 6. Surgical removal. Avoid completely! So much pain for the dog. Very hard on an elderly dog who may already be shaky when walking. Very hard on owners to have to help carry them or assist in walking afterward. Could easily cost several hundred dollars. 7. Laser removal. I am hearing more success stories with this but I am not sure who in the area will do it. "The corns are removed using a Co2 laser (there's few kinds out there). The wonderful thing about using the laser in there is NO blood during the surgery allowing the Dr to visualize everything making sure they get out the whole corn. I have seen a corn that was so deep it went completely down to the flexer tendon--never could that be performed using a scalpel blade. The laser is so clean that the tendon was not damaged and the corn was removed safely--it did not return. The toe was not sutured-instead it was packed with antibiotics ointment and the foot was wrapped. The dog went home on NSAID's and was weight bearing the next day.

Even thou the laser is a wonderful tool it needs to be used by a Dr familiar with it. I would suggest finding a Dr that has been using the laser in their practice for a while. Don't be afraid to ask how long they have the laser and how many and which types of surgery's have they performed with it." 8. Amputation of the affected toe. Drastic but something to consider depending on Willow's overall health. "After many corn problems and finally a sore paw with no corn showing we changed vets. Of course we had x-rays done of his leg twice and finally all the vet could say was the only thing left was to amputate part of the toe. By now Sam was only walking on 3 legs even in the house on carpet and would not put that sore paw down. Hard decision for us but we opted to take the chance on the amputation. Vet removed first knuckle, no stitches, just post op care and now a few months later he is great! No limps, no refusal to put weight on the paw, just prancing around on it. Turns out the corn type growth had grown inward and reached from the paw to the bone which must have been so painful for him. I am so glad we opted for this!'

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest ghessentials
I don't know about loose toenails, but you might do a search on SLO.

I recently put together my notes on corns for a friend. In quotations are some comments from GT members on the different treatments:

All about corns: http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corns.htm Another article about corns: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1..._of.html?cat=53 More articles on corns: http://www.greyhoundgang.org/medical-cornsandwarts.php [/size] Different approaches for treating corns: 1. Dremmeling or sanding. This would need constant follow-ups. It will not make the corn go away but can help to ease the pressure on that toe. 2. Applying bee propolis. I bielieve this comes in a capsule form (like a fish oil). Break the capsule open and rub on the corn. Repeat every day. It may take a month before you see any changes. Some folks have used the human Kerasolv and Abreva but do't let the dog lick it. After applying, cover the area with a small bandaid. By the time the bandaid falls off the solution will have been absorbed. Bee propolis can also be added to your dog's food. "According to some of the posts in the Yahoo Corn Hounds group, the propolis needs to be over 65% to be effective, the higher percentage, the better. The topical is very sticky and the best way to keep it on is to put small square band-aids on top -- by the time the band-aids come off, the stuff should have absorbed. I have not tried the propolis, but just got some to try on Mandy. I also have toddler socks to put over her feet, which I do anyway when I put the Kerasolv.

Propolis " "Propolis is a bee product. Here's some info from Wikipedia.

You can find it in various forms, but I got it in capsules, so I hadn't gotten around the idea of mixing it with the aloe (lazy!), so I just opened the cap and put it in her food. It smells good. Kind of yeasty."

"We added 500mg twice daily and Kid's corns are now starting to pop up and I'm hoping that they will fall out. I can actually "pick" them out with my nail." "The topical is made by opening up the pill capsule and mixing it with a little bit of aloe. You do that...it's not found already mixed Be careful when you open the capsule...so you don't lose any of the contents... make sure you have a clean (and dry) working surface so that if the capsules opens when you cut it and some of the contents spreads out on the counter...you can gather it all back up and mix it all with the little bit of aloe. (I also bought the aloe that was at the health food place...so that it was the best out there)." 3. Apply duct tape. Yes, a small piece of duct tape just a bit bigger than the corn. Just keep putting another piece of duct tape on again as the previous falls off. This seems to work although it may take a few weeks. If your dog tires to lick the paw, cover the foot (with a toddler sock with a rubberized bottom for traction.) 4. Cutting it out. Some vets will grab the corn and snip it. This method does not always get the root and it can be very painful. 5. Hulling the corn with a dental elevator. This is the preferred method although many vets have not heard of it. It lessens the chances that the corn will grow back. No anesthesia is needed. A vet might charge $35-50 to do this (hopefully with experience). The hulling technique: http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm 6. Surgical removal. Avoid completely! So much pain for the dog. Very hard on an elderly dog who may already be shaky when walking. Very hard on owners to have to help carry them or assist in walking afterward. Could easily cost several hundred dollars. 7. Laser removal. I am hearing more success stories with this but I am not sure who in the area will do it. "The corns are removed using a Co2 laser (there's few kinds out there). The wonderful thing about using the laser in there is NO blood during the surgery allowing the Dr to visualize everything making sure they get out the whole corn. I have seen a corn that was so deep it went completely down to the flexer tendon--never could that be performed using a scalpel blade. The laser is so clean that the tendon was not damaged and the corn was removed safely--it did not return. The toe was not sutured-instead it was packed with antibiotics ointment and the foot was wrapped. The dog went home on NSAID's and was weight bearing the next day.

Even thou the laser is a wonderful tool it needs to be used by a Dr familiar with it. I would suggest finding a Dr that has been using the laser in their practice for a while. Don't be afraid to ask how long they have the laser and how many and which types of surgery's have they performed with it." 8. Amputation of the affected toe. Drastic but something to consider depending on Willow's overall health. "After many corn problems and finally a sore paw with no corn showing we changed vets. Of course we had x-rays done of his leg twice and finally all the vet could say was the only thing left was to amputate part of the toe. By now Sam was only walking on 3 legs even in the house on carpet and would not put that sore paw down. Hard decision for us but we opted to take the chance on the amputation. Vet removed first knuckle, no stitches, just post op care and now a few months later he is great! No limps, no refusal to put weight on the paw, just prancing around on it. Turns out the corn type growth had grown inward and reached from the paw to the bone which must have been so painful for him. I am so glad we opted for this!'