Took Cash In For Her Checkup/shots This Morning ....

Guest MomofCash

Guest MomofCash

... and poor baby girl has had bad teeth and gums since the day she walked in. She has some teeth left, but not many and Dr. Breaux said this morning that one of her molars really need to come out. She's 11 and I am so worried about her going under anesthesia, but I know she would feel better without a bad tooth in her mouth. Dr. Breaux will run all the pre-anesthesia bloodwork to make sure everything is okay - he always does that before she goes under for her teeth.

So I guess I'm just looking for some thoughts and advice ... if she's had no problems before with coming out of anesthesia, is she that much more susceptible now that she's 11?

Thanks for the advice ... both she and I really appreciate it ... :)

Guest MomofCash
She should be fine. Mizzy has had two nasty molars pulled. She felt much better afterwards.

Why is she still getting shots?

Huh? ... okay... you have to explain this to me. Should she NOT be getting her shots ?

The Veterinary Association recommends every 3 years over 8 (as well as all the universities) and some are now saying that after the first couple of adult shots, they shouldn't need any more. Rabies is a must because of state laws.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=128246&hl=

The only dog in my house now that may get another set is Grace and she is 5. Maybe...have not made up my mind yet.

I never give rabies & the others the same day. I split them up. Also, do not put them under anesthetic for at least two weeks.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

If all her blood work comes back ok, she should do just fine. Will keep her in our thoughts! She will feel so much better

No shots here, although Lenny just turned 6 so I'll see how my vet feels about him

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest MomofCash
The Veterinary Association recommends every 3 years over 8 (as well as all the universities) and some are now saying that after the first couple of adult shots, they shouldn't need any more. Rabies is a must because of state laws.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=128246&hl=

The only dog in my house now that may get another set is Grace and she is 5. Maybe...have not made up my mind yet.

I never give rabies & the others the same day. I split them up. Also, do not put them under anesthetic for at least two weeks.

Wow ... I need to read up on that.

As far as no anesthetic for 2 weeks ... is that because she just had her shots, Diane ?

Guest Energy11

Yes, if her blood work is okay, she should be fine with the dental. NO shots here either, except Bordetella and Rabies. Mine are ages 7-9.

Good Luck and lots of love and prayers.

Guest VanillaBean

I was not going to get any shots for my 9.5 year old this year. We did a titer (Parvo and Distemper I think) and it was very low. So vet said he needed them????