Flea/tick Treatment Question

Guest LRay82

Hi everyone - not 100% sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but here goes...

I was wondering what to do about bathing my girl with respect to getting her flea/tick treatment. I may need to re-read the packaging, but I don't remember it saying anything abouth baths, or also about contact with other dogs/animals after being treated.

Does anyone know how long you should wait to give a bath after the treatment? And also, how long, if at all, we need to make sure she doesn't come in contact with other dogs?

The situation is this: she's due for her treatment tomorrow, we start obedience class Wednesday, then Friday we're going to visit my family (other dogs around), so I'd like her to be clean when we go.

Thanks!

Edited by LRay82

I believe it's 48 hours- it is on the package and she will be fine around other dogs. Why do you need to bath her? In general, greyhounds don't need baths.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

Yes, after a bath, you can apply the flea protection after 48 hours. This gives time for the natural oils in the dog's skin to come back, which helps propel the flea medication. Good Luck!

Admittedly, I haven't read much about bathing greys, but I just assumed they NEED baths like most other dogs. But due to the firsr response, I just did some quick googling and what I found suggests otherwise, so I will take that into consideration.

I'm using K9 Advantix, it's what the adoption agency recommended. It leaves a sort of oily residue which eventually starts flaking off - what do I do then, just room with the hound glove?

Guest Energy11

To be totally honest, I have NEVER bathed my greys, but I have never had flea/tick problems. I do groom twice a week with the mitts, and use a nice smelling mist on their coats. I've had mine for over five years.

Greys don't need to be bathed much at all. It dries out their skin. They don't have a doggie odor, and most people bath, because of fleas/ticks, or if they greys get really dirty.

You can just groom, I'd say, once a week, and that should be fine unless you do have flea infestations, etc.

We bath maybe 3 x a year.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

Yep... bathing all depends. When we adopted our senior, Max, he really did need a bath. I am just lucky with mine. I have used a "dry bath" on their a few times, which worked wonderfully, but they don't have an odor, and have beautiful coats from twice weekly grooming. ;-))

Admittedly, I haven't read much about bathing greys, but I just assumed they NEED baths like most other dogs. But due to the firsr response, I just did some quick googling and what I found suggests otherwise, so I will take that into consideration.

I'm using K9 Advantix, it's what the adoption agency recommended. It leaves a sort of oily residue which eventually starts flaking off - what do I do then, just room with the hound glove?

Well, MOST dogs don't need to be bathed very often. In fact, bathing them too often drys their skin. Greyhounds are generally very dry skinned to begin with.

Advantix is not to be used around cats, period, so if you have them...

My vet won't even write me a prescription for is because I have cats and it can kill them.

The stuff takes a day or so to fully sink in/absorb. There will be a greasy spot where you apply it. Should not be an issue for other DOGS, but...see above if you have a cat!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Mine all just got baths two days ago. Usually they get baths twice a year. As for the flea and tick protection, it's either 2 to 3 days before a bath or 2 to 3 days after a bath.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11
Mine all just got baths two days ago. Usually they get baths twice a year. As for the flea and tick protection, it's either 2 to 3 days before a bath or 2 to 3 days after a bath.

Wow, I would love to be there when you bathe them. You must have a great system :-))))

Wow, I would love to be there when you bathe them. You must have a great system :-))))

It takes about 3 hours to give them all a bath. My son gets into our walk in shower, takes in a dog and closes the door so they can't escape. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee