Possible Extractions In A 7 Year Old Girl? Thoughts?

Guest LeanneSchatz

Guest LeanneSchatz

Hi all!

I posted a while back about Bea getting attacked at the kennel. She's doing great now. Her wounds are almost fully healed. Well when we took her for the follow up, the vet went through her records from her previous owners vet and discovered that her thyroid meds seemed a bit off given the results of her most recent test. So, she's going back Saturday for a recheck and hopefully to be put on the proper dosage. I can tell you that since she's been off the meds, she's been a new dog! She plays, she's excited! I am anxious to get that whole thing taken care of though, I just want her to feel well! Anyway, that's not the point of this post, that was just a quick update. Here's the point.... Well at the last visit, the vet also noticed that her two back molars had roots that were exposed. Bea had a dental in April and according to the records, her old vet tried to graft those teeth. I have no idea what that means. I am extremely worried about a 7 year old girl going under again to have those teeth out. They are not infected. Have any of you had older greys under for extractions? Will the thyroid issue interfere with anything? Please give me so advice!

Thanks!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

If she were my dog then I would definitely have the teeth removed. Exposed roots just plain hurt! Buzz just had one molar removed for that problem last Friday and he's 8 y/o. Spencer, who is also on thyroid medication, had 2 molars removed last year due to root exposure and he was 8 y/o as well. I wouldn't think twice if my vet told me my dog should have teeth removed as I know good dental care is imperative for the health of my dogs overall.

Guest LeanneSchatz
If she were my dog then I would definitely have the teeth removed. Exposed roots just plain hurt! Buzz just had one molar removed for that problem last Friday and he's 8 y/o. Spencer, who is also on thyroid medication, had 2 molars removed last year due to root exposure and he was 8 y/o as well. I wouldn't think twice if my vet told me my dog should have teeth removed as I know good dental care is imperative for the health of my dogs overall.

Your greys healed up just fine, right? I am just worried about her. We will do whatever the vet tells us has to be done but I just want to make sure it's safe.

Guest KennelMom

7 is pretty young. If she's otherwise healthy, it really shouldn't be a big deal. Of course, anything *can* happen with anesthesia, but she should recover just fine from the extractions. I'd get it done ASAP...from personal experience, tooth pain is absolutely awful and you don't want to wait for them to start hurting her.

If the teeth are going to pose an increasing problem down the line, better to remove them now while she's still "young." The longer you wait to deal with the bad teeth, the older she'll be and you'll worry even more about putting her under. And by that point, the bad teeth may start affecting her health in other more serious ways. The oldest hound I've had who underwent a dental with major extractions was my Chancy who was a senior bounce. Her last dental was at 12 years of age. Very scary, but thankfully she did fine. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Your greys healed up just fine, right? I am just worried about her. We will do whatever the vet tells us has to be done but I just want to make sure it's safe.

Oh definintely yes! They came through with flying colors and Spencer who had the 2 extractions at one time did very well and was eating moistened food like a champ a day afterwards. Spencer is slower to recover from anethesia than Buzz but nothing life threatening.

Guest LeanneSchatz

Oh definintely yes! They came through with flying colors and Spencer who had the 2 extractions at one time did very well and was eating moistened food like a champ a day afterwards. Spencer is slower to recover from anethesia than Buzz but nothing life threatening.

Good to know. My other girl Sizzle is having her dental on the 22nd and when we see the vet this Saturday, we are going to get one scheduled for Bea. I absolutley do not want her to be in pain and we plan on getting it done as soon as we can. Thanks for the advice!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Good to know. My other girl Sizzle is having her dental on the 22nd and when we see the vet this Saturday, we are going to get one scheduled for Bea. I absolutley do not want her to be in pain and we plan on getting it done as soon as we can. Thanks for the advice!

Which vet do you use?

Our newest boy was a neglect case that was owner surrendered. His mouth was just awful, smelled like rotten meat. :puke Anyway he desperately needed a dental. He went in 2 weeks ago today and had 17 teeth removed. :omg The vet was able to just finger pull them they were so exposed. He is a new dog today, no more mouth odor, the infection has cleared up, he runs around the house playing, he has a new lease on life. It was the worst dental the vet had ever seen and he was under for over 2 hours while they cleaned up his mouth. BTW he will be 12 next month. Yes I was very worried about doing this at his age, but it was well worth the risk and the outcome has been simply amazing!! :yay

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

8-14-hound-siggy.jpg?gl=US

Living a GREYT life at the Hound Hacienda - Clarkdale, Arizona

Always missing our angel hounds; Parker, Lacey, Bella, Figgy, Macho, Aspen, Kingman and Tillie

Ah, forgot to add, my Tipper just had a dental with three extractions a few months ago at age 11. He'd de-gloved his foot requiring major stitches. His teeth had already been in need of cleaning but I'd been putting it off out of nervousness about the anesthesia. But since he had to go under for the foot injury anyway, I had them go ahead and do his teeth. He was totally fine, you'd never have guessed he even had a dental, let alone extractions. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest LeanneSchatz

Which vet do you use?

We go to Tatum Point Animal Hospital

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Which vet do you use?

Okay just curious - don't know anything about them.

Guest LeanneSchatz

Which vet do you use?

Okay just curious - don't know anything about them.

They are really good. The vet will only use one type of anesthesia for greys. It costs more but that's all he'll use on them.

Guest Tenderhearts

Lori Ann was around 11 1/2 when she had her last dental (we lost her at 13 1/2 years of age). She had several extractions, and healed up fine. She had some bloody drool the first couple of days, but that was to be expected. She also was always put on antibiotics prior to the dental and afterward as she had very little enamel left on her teeth when I had first gotten her. I also pre-softened her food before she ate after the dental. :)

My Aggie just had a dental with 4 extractions and she did just fine for an old lady...she'll be 14 in Dec. The only thing I noticed was she was a little slower rebounding, but at almost 14, I expected that.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Kaylee was in for a dental a few months ago and they extracted 16 teeth (and wanted to take a few more, but didn't want to keep her under any longer). She's going back in next week and will probably have those few other teeth taken out then.

She did fine, and eats just as fast as ever.

Kaylee will be 8 in November. Her litter-mate Drake has all of his teeth, and they are in great shape - I guess he got all the "good teeth genes" in the family!

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I would definitely have them removed. Dogs often hide their pain and having roots exposed hurts. My 10 year old had 4 teeth removed and he was perfectly fine in a couple of days. She pulled one on the side and his tongue would fall out of the hole. It was too cute. Pre procedure blood work is also a good idea if needed.