Cavities....

Guest pwsopk

So...we have had the boys for one year and a half now. They are 4 year old and in good shape. We mainly feed them kibble with a little bit of wet food because Zorro could not take dry food alone. Maybe it's too dry or he is just being picky. We sometimes give the boys human food but really not very often. ( I cannot say no to their pleading eyes...) They have plenty of bones, pigs ears, and the "check up" dental biscuits from Costco.

We found cavities on both the boys' teeth. The cavities are small and on the very back of the mouth. I was wondering if the vet can remove the cavity and do fillings for the boys? Or if the vet in general only extract the bad teeth?

I also order the CET water addictive, chew stuff and tooth paste. Thought they may help

Guest Energy11

Honestly, I haven't heard of dogs getting "cavities," and I worked for a vet for over four years. Maybe someone else has?

Best to get their teeth looked at by a vet and go from there. Brushing, everyday if you can, can only help. Good Luck, and hoping for gleaming toofers!

It looks like a tiny black dot on the lower molar tooth. It's still small and we just have the boys for 18 months. I think it's caused by the daily kong filled with peanut butter :(

I'm puzzled why some say that dogs don't get cavities. A tooth is a tooth isn't it, no matter the species?

Capri has one too but I'm just keeping an eye on it. I pointed it out to the vet when we first got her but he said he wasn't worried about it. It seems to me that the preference is to just leave them until they're bad and then they pull the tooth out. Or do I not understand veterinary dentistry? (I admit I don't understand why they couldn't do fillings, I guess pulling them is just easier? But the animal is sedated either way, right?)

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I did a google search on canine's cavities. I think we are seeing it happen a lot often now than before. The boys are only 4 year old. I will hate to have their teeth extracted at such a young age. I will keep an eye on it and be diligent about brushing their teeth and giving them healthy treats.

They love human food so much though. I had hard time ignoring them.

So...we have had the boys for one year and a half now. They are 4 year old and in good shape. We mainly feed them kibble with a little bit of wet food because Zorro could not take dry food alone. Maybe it's too dry or he is just being picky. We sometimes give the boys human food but really not very often. ( I cannot say no to their pleading eyes...) They have plenty of bones, pigs ears, and the "check up" dental biscuits from Costco.

We found cavities on both the boys' teeth. The cavities are small and on the very back of the mouth. I was wondering if the vet can remove the cavity and do fillings for the boys? Or if the vet in general only extract the bad teeth?

I also order the CET water addictive, chew stuff and tooth paste. Thought they may help

I'm wondering how the heck you ever found them! I don't think I've ever gotten a good look at Lucy's back teeth, even after many, many attempts to brush back there. She just does not like me doing anything to her mouth.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

It's pretty gross. But we ( me and the hubby) are used to taking stuff out of the boys' teeth on the walk. ( e.g. cat poop :puke , chicken bones...)

I am sure you will need another person to help you.

I have never heard of a dog getting a cavity either.

Joe has gotten a peanut butter filled Kong several times a week for years and not had any problems from that. He's had two dentals in that time also. Never heard of peanut butter causing cavities in humans or dogs....

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.