Trouble Walking

Guest silvedm

Guest silvedm

Well, I've been pretty quiet lately, but I could use some advice, or at least some encouragement, from all the greytalk experts, owner, vet, tech, whatever. Our vet mentioned older greys do tend to start having ambulatory problems...

Our grey, Alvin, is 11 and raced until he was about 4. He's very tall for a grey, if that matters, and currently at about 70 lbs (he should be more, it's hard to keep weight on him). He has had one previous episode of what our vet called "old dog vertigo" that followed classic symptoms, but this is a bit different. Our dog walker said he limped slightly on the right side occasionally, and his walks have been shorter lately whenever any limp is detected.

August 21 - All normal. No falls, no unusual foods or exercise.

August 22 - We had storms in the area, so he got up around 4.30 AM and moved from one bed to another. By 6.30 AM he had moved back to his usual bed. DH tried to get him up for his breakfast, and Alvin could no longer stand unassisted. His right rear leg seemed to be unable to support him, and he kept trying to step on his knuckles, instead of laying his paw flat on that foot. His knuckles were swollen from attempting to walk on it. He seemed to have intermittant issues with his right front legs. His left legs appeared to be fine. No eye rolling observed.

The vet took him as an urgent care visit a few hours later. His bloodwork came back all normal except for some elevated white blood cell count. He's now on crate rest (until the neurologist appointment), with tramadol twice daily, and prednisone once daily. I've been spraying the back right paw with Gentamicine twice daily and it seems to be healing. He was unable to walk unassisted, and even with assistance, we had to correct his rear step to put it flat instead of on his knuckles.

August 24 - He could take a few steps unassisted at a time, rear paw is no longer swollen.

August 25 - He could walk a little further, and finally started correcting his rear step himself. Assistance walking is more for balance than weight-bearing.

August 26 - He can and will now walk several feet unassisted (though we've had him leashed and nearby in case of problems). He's still putting the bad foot down wrong every four or five steps, but he autocorrects pretty quickly.

We've an appointment with a neurologist but not until September 9. We have every intention of continuing his medication and crate rest as the vet prescribed until then. Does anyone have a dog with something similar? Or suggestions on how to keep him most comfortable on crate rest? Heck, a way to keep his weight up would really help too - I'm making him some meat balls tonight similar to the Satin Balls recipe, but cooked. :unsure

Thanks!

I forgot to add - my vet did some kind of neurological exam and thinks it might be a slipped disk or a tumor or something, as he evinced discomfort when she was prodding between his shoulder blades deeply.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like it could have been a stroke, given the symptoms, and he is just coming around. Hard to call on this one, but seeing a neurologist is a VERY good idea.

Might also want to xray the "bad," leg, just to be sure.

Good Luck, hugs and prayers from here!

My girl Cody started knuckling under & couldn't stand - it was a bulgy disc and prednisone & acupuncture worked WONDERS for 2 years!!

Hope it's something treatable

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Hugs to you and Alvin. :dogcookie

My Indy is 11-3/4 and has struggled with progressive hind-end weakness, lumbosacral stenosis. Also raced (adopted at 3-1/2), weighed in at 75 lbs when I adopted him. A good size male as well.

Assuming it's not cancer or a tumor, I've done and tried the following for Indy's back woes: Get Up and Go (glucosamine supplements purchased through Greyhound Gang), x-rays (normal), blood work (normal), took him to see a neurologist (paid for $$$ MRI :yikes ), a course of Prednisone (Indy did not do well - so no more of that), started acupuncture treatments in Nov08 (very helpful), and finally found a chiropractor - has had two adjustments. Chiropractor also recommended stretching exercises for Indy's bad toe (his left rear side and leg gives him grief). Also recently started on "Body Sore" (for pain) - a Chinese herb.

Oh, several weekends ago -- I don't know quite what happened but Indy stayed in his bed most of the weekend. Was clearly in discomfort which is when I took him to the chiropractor. She noted that several disks were "out" and post-adjustment Indy was considerably better and able to ambulate.

Also give Metacam and Tramadol as needed. Walks are now quite short - but it's necessary to keep him moving. What can happens if a disk encroaches on a nerve long enough - well, it's like what happens to humans - tingling, numbness, death of the nerve, no feeling or use.

In my humble opinion, while the MRI is very helpful in identifying the problem area -- it is painfully expensive so I can't recommend it unless you have a money tree growing in your back yard! I think the acupuncture and chiropractic have been the most helpful. I wish I had found an animal chiropractor years ago, but there were very few around.

I have also taken my female, Holly, almost 10-1/2, for two chiropractic adjustments to date. In her case, she had a few cervical disks out of alignment (she was holding her head kinda weird).

So I would certainly look into chiropractic and acupuncture if that is an option for you.

Get well soon Alvin (what a greyt name!). :heart

Could be a stroke, not uncommon, I too vote acupuncture or chiropractic depending on spinal MRI results,either way these alternative med. may help, I have seen it work wonders, good luck, keep us posted

Guest Scouts_mom

My Tia had a similar problem with her hind legs about 2 years ago (she will be 14 next month). My vet sent me to a neurologist who said there was clearly something going on with the nerves in her spine. He wanted to do an MRI and then surgery. I could not justify that expensive surgery, with no guarantee it would work, on a 12 yr old dog. So I did prednisone, medicam and acupuncture. It worked miracles. Her leg is still a little week, but she can walk, trot and occasionally do a slow gallop!

Guest silvedm

August 27 - He's not walking as well today as he was yesterday, maybe because of a small fall. His front end is shaking quite a bit. On the bright side, the cooked satin balls/meatballs (sweetened with a bit of bacon and fish oil) are a hit and we've managed to get him to eat twelve of those.

Dependent on what the neurologist says, we might try the chiropracter, but DH doesn't believe acupuncturists do any good.

Thanks for all the good wishes, we appreciate it.

Edited by silvedm