Teeth

Guest amour

Guest KennelMom

We feed our dogs green tripe but not for their teeth. Raw bones will clean teeth. We get our green tripe from a raw dog supply company...it's ground up so it's easier to feed, but still pretty disgusting :puke Maybe the thinking is the digestive juices will help clean teeth :dunno I really doubt it makes much of a difference.

Guest KennelMom

all of the above. and pork bones too.

There've been a lot of threads about bones and raw feeding lately. Even if you don't feed a totally raw diet, dogs can benefit immensely from bones. We give a variety over the course of the week so they have to use all the teeth in their mouth.

There's a risk of choking with anything a dog puts in their mouth. Our dogs pretty much know how to eat so I don't worry about choking any more than I did when they ate just kibble.

I also feed chicken feet and bully sticks, as I have an old girl that never in her whole life was a chewer, but will chew these two things! Always supervised

Guest Sherry

I have given my other dog (a Lab X) raw turkey necks for 10 years and her teeth are beautiful.

Has anyone ever used raw turkey necks on a Greyhound? My rescue where I just adopted my Grey told me absolutely not, but I've become very used to people saying NO! to raw food, so am taking that with a grain of salt. I'd love to hear other's experiences with raw turkey necks ... or chicken necks.

Guest Cris_M
I have given my other dog (a Lab X) raw turkey necks for 10 years and her teeth are beautiful.

Has anyone ever used raw turkey necks on a Greyhound? My rescue where I just adopted my Grey told me absolutely not, but I've become very used to people saying NO! to raw food, so am taking that with a grain of salt. I'd love to hear other's experiences with raw turkey necks ... or chicken necks.

Turkey necks were a once a day staple here until they became impossible to find. Super yummy with lots of hearty chomping required. Chicken necks will do zip for a greyhound; they slide right down. No chewing needed.

Ribs are especially good for teeth. You serve them connected to each other. Chewing them apart is like flossing. If your dog is a gentle chewer, beef ribs are fine. If your dog is a normal or robust chewer, go for pork.

Butcher shop, for me I get mine from a local organic farmer, who butchers and saves me necks, backs, feet, livers, gizzard, wings, hearts at .50 a lbs.

Turkey necks were a once a day staple here until they became impossible to find. Super yummy with lots of hearty chomping required. Chicken necks will do zip for a greyhound; they slide right down. No chewing needed.

I will agree that there's no chewing involved with chicken necks. I would contest the idea that they're not of benefit; they have no carbs, no grains, none of the stuff that allows bacteria to build up calculus on the teeth. As a result, while they may not improve things, they don't worsen it. In this context, chicken necks may be mildly beneficial.

We feed a lot of chicken necks here; the hounds have very nice teeth. We used to feed turkey necks until they became hard to find. We do feed turkey backs; they provide a lot of crunch on a per-dollar basis. :)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)