Possibly Hypothyroid

Beth had a full blood panel at the vet today, since she needed her heartworm test anyway. Apparently all her results look great except her T4 is pretty low -- 0.5. I know T4 is very far from definitive, but we're going to go ahead with a full thyroid panel and the vet also wanted to test her cortisol -- I didn't quite follow the explanation of how adrenal problems affect the thyroid, perhaps someone can explain?

She isn't showing major hypothyroid symptoms, although she has lost a lot of hair on her belly this summer (she's much more naked now than when I adopted her last August). And she's shown a slight increase in shyness -- mainly the statuing outside my house issue that I posted about a week or so ago and slightly more tentativeness on walks around the neighborhood. She still jumps around on leash like a nutball when the mood hits her and is glad to run. She did have a small hotspot recently and has some small cysts on her skin. Could her recent neck pain issue be in any way related? Doesn't seem likely, but the timing is interesting.

Darn, I know treating hypothyroidism if she has it isn't a huge deal -- I take thyroid meds myself. But it makes me feel sad and stressed to be hitting so many medical issues in the very first year with my seemingly young and healthy girl.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

When Misty was dx with Cushings, it really affected her thyroid. We put her on Soloxine and once her coristol level was balanced, her thyroid returned to normal and I weaned her off the Soloxine.

Misty showed none of the normal symptoms of a thyroid problem except she was losing her nails which her low thyroid caused. Not a common symptom but nothing was common with Misty :(

ETA: I'm just curious what would make the vet want to check her Cortisol level?

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

ETA: I'm just curious what would make the vet want to check her Cortisol level?

I don't think anything specific, at least that he said -- presumably just to be sure that that wasn't what was affecting her thyroid.

Thanks for responding -- Misty was the one dog here I remembered who had Cushing's.

You already know that a full thyroid panel will tell the story about her thyroid, but if her Cortisol levels were either high or low you would know it. There's no mistaking it.

Please let us know when you get the results back

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Emmy battled cushings also but did not have to be on thyroid meds. The cortisol level will tell you if you're battling something more than just the thyroid. Good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Might be the cysts that made him want to check cortisol.

Never hurts to get the full thyroid panel.

Hope all turns out well for your pretty girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Another question -- I'd read about sending thyroid tests to MSU and mentioned that to my vet as the "gold standard"; he was familiar with it but said they use IDEXX labs and that they are comparably excellent for thyroid panels now. Any info on this?

Guest Energy11

Curfew's Free T4 came back low. He is on thyroid supplement, and it is showing good results. I AM NOT without doubt, he might have Cushings, though. I am going to see the vet next week, and we are going to talk! I see some signs of Cushings, but not all ... very confused with him.

Be SURE your vet does a Free T4, because that will tell you whether your baby is hypothyroidism. Good Luck!

As for MSU, Batmom could probably address this better than I, but if I'm not mistaken, there was a time when many of the labs were not doing the equilibrium, however I believe that has changed. I know the lab my vet uses does

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Ack. Don't know what IDEXX includes on their panel. I would hope TSH and fT4 by equilibrium dialysis, but I don't know. For a greyhound with uncertain symptoms, those two things are important.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'll make sure with my vet that those things are tested, but I'm pretty sure we'll be testing them. I'll check on the equilibrium dialysis for fT4 too -- from googling IDEXX it definitely sounds like they do that, but I'll make sure it's not separate from their regular panel and that we get it if it is. Thanks very much!

Edited by PrairieProf

Guest budsmom

The one really nice thing that MSU also does is that if your vet requests it, they will provide a written analysis of the results. The ananlysis is breed specific, so it does consider the unique values that greys frequently have. I would definitely recommend getting that along with the test, if you can use MSU.

Just a word of caution and I say this from past experience. I only trust Dr. Jean Dodds to do the thyroid check. It is costly (maybe $165) but well worth it since she does breed specific. Last year had my afghan levels checked by regular vet, vet said needed to be on .6 twice a day. Had it rechecked by Dr. Dodds and the af did not need to be on medication. So I had my holistic vet draw the blood for my grey and send it to Dr. Dodds. Its a peace of mind thing for me.

Another question -- I'd read about sending thyroid tests to MSU and mentioned that to my vet as the "gold standard"; he was familiar with it but said they use IDEXX labs and that they are comparably excellent for thyroid panels now. Any info on this?

Oh I don't agree about the IDEXX labs being comparable. See my other post about using only Dr. Dodds only for specific breeds.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I talked to my vet on the phone today. The test they were going to do doesn't use equilibrium dialysis, but I'm paying big $$ to get the full "gold standard" thyroid panel that does -- it has to be sent out and will take about a week to get the results, though I forgot to ask where it's sent (he called while I was walking the dog!); it turns out they do the regular IDEXX testing in-house. I guess if there's any ambiguity in the results I can deal with getting an expert interpretation; my vet does seem very smart and up-to-date and he understands the difference in normal greyhound levels.

He said he just wanted to check the cortisol to rule out any adrenal involvement, not that Beth showed any signs of it.

My suspicion today is that Beth's thyroid is probably fine and all this testing is just going to lower my wallet's metabolism :wacko: , but it will be good to know for sure. Anyway, she gets her blood drawn tomorrow and I'll have at least the adrenal results then.

Edited by PrairieProf

You know your vet best, and if you're comfortable with his recommendation, than that's a good thing. MSU is not the only lab to trust to run a thyroid.

As for Jean Dodds, I have nothing but praise for her. Not only do I adopt from Jean, she has helped me so many times over the years and even my own vet will consult with her.

Let us know how the cortisol level is, I'm guessing it's normal per no symptoms

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

They probably send out to MSU or Antech.

I haven't personally dealt with any Antech people, but I can vouch for MSU's approachability. They will include endocrinologist's written assessment on the profile for a few $, and they're happy to talk with vets if there are further questions. I would *expect* that Antech is the same.

Fingers crossed that all comes back normal, or at least not scary!

Guest Maddison

Maddie's test came back today with 0.5 too. Her test is being sent to MSU but it's going to take 2 weeks to get results. She doesn't show many signs of hypothyroid her butt is so full! But, she does have a couple of bald spots on her tail that never fill up with hair and she is panting like crazy this past month. I'm hoping I can get some kind of answer. I hope you do too!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, good news! I finally got the results back today from the full thyroid panel and Beth is not hypothyroid. T4 and FT3 were a little low but not extremely, FT4 was in the normal range, TSH low in the normal range, no significant antibody levels. There was an interpretation with it that said there was no reason to suspect hypothyroidism from those results for a greyhound. Not a surprise, as she really shows no signs, but a relief to know.

But darn that test was a lot of money to confirm she didn't have something we didn't think she had anyway!

Edited by PrairieProf

Well, good news! I finally got the results back today from the full thyroid panel and Beth is not hypothyroid. T4 and FT3 were a little low but not extremely, FT4 was in the normal range, TSH low in the normal range, no significant antibody levels. There was an interpretation with it that said there was no reason to suspect hypothyroidism from those results for a greyhound. Not a surprise, as she really shows no signs, but a relief to know.

But darn that test was a lot of money to confirm she didn't have something we didn't think she had anyway!

I hear ya but peace of mind now! Glad you had good news!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg