Can He Afford To Lose Another Toe

About three years ago Frisby had a front toe removed as there was a tumor in the bone. Now the next toe is swollen and sore. He has been on steroids and anti inflammatories for a week and the pain seems to have gone but the toe is still swollen. He has to go in for an xray on Thursday. It can be one of three things. Either a broken bone that has healed badly or a deep rooted infection or another tumor. If (and I pray it's not) it's a tumor he will have to have the toe removed. I know there are many greys here that have had a toe removed, but are there any that have had two adjacent toes removed and if so, do they manage ok? He would be left with just the two outside toes and I don't know if he will be able to walk properly. He is nearly nine, but he still loves his zoomies. I just hope it's nothing bad and it's something he can live with.

Guest knitkass

Same here, although as resiliant as they are to amputation, I'm sure Frisby would figure it out just fine!

Here's hoping he doesn't need surgery though.

Guest patti909

Lacie had a toe amputated last year due to severla injuries to the same toe.

Then this year she completely broke off a portion o the toe next to it. The vet was concerned about balance if he removed the entire toe, so he did a partial amputation and reconstructed the pad to cushion the remaining toe.

She has adjusted well, if only the thunderstorms would go away.

Lacie had a toe amputated last year due to severla injuries to the same toe.

Then this year she completely broke off a portion o the toe next to it. The vet was concerned about balance if he removed the entire toe, so he did a partial amputation and reconstructed the pad to cushion the remaining toe.

She has adjusted well, if only the thunderstorms would go away.

Thanks for that info.

Guest greybookends

My new broodie Daytona had both middle toes on her left hind foot amputated she has a slight limp that is partially due to being 11 and is developing the usual joint pains that come with age, but she gets around just find, she doen't seem to miss them. 2 less nails to cut.

If (and I pray it's not) it's a tumor he will have to have the toe removed. I know there are many greys here that have had a toe removed, but are there any that have had two adjacent toes removed and if so, do they manage ok? He would be left with just the two outside toes and I don't know if he will be able to walk properly. He is nearly nine, but he still loves his zoomies. I just hope it's nothing bad and it's something he can live with.

Just wanted to answer you in that........our ex-foster greyhound had two middle adjacent toes amputated on his back foot and he is doing really well.

His new 'mum and Dad' have a boot he wears for stony unlevel ground but he does well without it now 5 months on post-surgery..........infact we met up with them on Sunday at the beach and he had a little run on the sand off the lead, and regularly plays in the garden with his toys.

You can just about see his hind foot on this photo....this is in our house not long after he came back from the vets back in March...

120420092741.jpg

And now in the garden at his new home on Sunday...

post-17679-1249376667_thumb.jpg

.......ironically his racing name was Savings Surgery

Hope this puts your mind at rest...

Edited by crazygang

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Thanks for your replies. It's good to know there are others out there in a similar position who have coped well. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it won't need amputation.