Worms With Hge?

I posted earlier about Sherri having been diagnosed with HGE on Friday. I have been giving her all her meds.

Her poop has gone from very much a liquid to more like pudding. She went three times yesterday and as of

Saturday night, no more blood. This morning (Sunday) after she ate breakfast, she went out and pooped-

same golden colored pudding poop with a small streak of blood in it. I then saw something very thin and white.

(I had her go on a newspaper so I could see things easier). I inspected more thoroughly and pulled out about

five or six long (about 2 inches) and very thin worms, I think. Each one had a small thick round end to it.

I researched and I think they are whipworms. She gets her Interceptor on the first of every month. How can

she get whipworms? Also, in addition to all the meds she is getting now, do I need to call the vet again

tomorrow and get her something else? Her stool sample came back negative-is it possible to have worms and

get that result? I was starting to feel better about all of this, now my stomach is in knots again.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mary

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

What meds is she getting? Looks like she needs a wormer so if she isn't getting one, she will need that.

Interceptor and similar won't cure a heavy worm load altho they will usually keep dog from picking up new worms of the kind they treat.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What meds is she getting? Looks like she needs a wormer so if she isn't getting one, she will need that.

Interceptor and similar won't cure a heavy worm load altho they will usually keep dog from picking up new worms of the kind they treat.

She is on Proviable, Metronidazole and Carafate.

Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

Sounds like she needs a course of Panacur as well. Whipworms can be hard to get rid of, but not impossible :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sounds like she needs a course of Panacur as well. Whipworms can be hard to get rid of, but not impossible :) .

Would Drontal work as well?

Guest kydie
:thumbs-up Yep. whipworms, don't panic, just call your vet and get the meds, and treat her, although sometimes 2 rounds are needed, this is not the worst of what could be causing her bloody poo!

Drontal Plus works too. :)

Not sure about regular Drontal -- I'd have to look that one up.

Edited by Batmom

I have Drontal in the house. Is it safe to give with all the other meds she is on and now I'm wondering if she really

needed all these other meds. Also, why wouldn't the whipworms have shown up in the sample I took to the vet

on Friday? I've given her Drontal once before when she had tapes. Is it one pill now and another at a later time?

Edited by maryz

Whipworm eggs can be hard to find in a stool sample. Here's some more info: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_whipworms.html

They don't mention praziquantel (Drontal) as being effective against whips, so I'd talk to your vet and get a different med.

Whipworm eggs can be hard to find in a stool sample. Here's some more info: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_whipworms.html

They don't mention praziquantel (Drontal) as being effective against whips, so I'd talk to your vet and get a different med.

I don't think I have Drontal Plus. I believe I have the regular one. I guess I will go back out and get the sample she

did this morning and bring it to the vet tomorrow.

Edited to add: Went outside and pulled the worms off the newspaper she had gone on. Put them in a plastic container

and put in fridge. DH told me to please put the container in a brown lunch bag so he doesn't have to see them. :lol

Edited by maryz

DH told me to please put the container in a brown lunch bag so he doesn't have to see them. :lol

Don't forget to label the brown bag...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest GentleHugs

Poor Sherri.... I bet she feels miserable. I'd check first thing in the am with your vet and show him your brown bag sample. Who knows - it might the root to the whole problem of her feeling poorly.

Sometimes the vets can't always detect worms in one stool sample. I always take in a couple of different samples unless the worms are very visible in the first one.

My neighbor's new little mixed breed guy is now on a medicine chest full of worm meds himself. They found whip, hook, round and tape in him! His vet also gave him an antibiotic because his trachea was tender. From what her vet said, their tracheas can get tender from ingesting the worms/eggs! Bad news is they just adopted him and the adoption group said he had been wormed and was worm free. My neighbor isn't all that happy with the adoption group right now but it explained the all of a sudden little poop accidents in the house.

Here's to Sherri feeling better after her little unexpected "internal house guests" get evicted. :getwell

Edited by GentleHugs

DH told me to please put the container in a brown lunch bag so he doesn't have to see them. :lol

Don't forget to label the brown bag...

I already did. Thanks.

Poor Sherri.... I bet she feels miserable. I'd check first thing in the am with your vet and show him your brown bag sample. Who knows - it might the root to the whole problem of her feeling poorly.

Sometimes the vets can't always detect worms in one stool sample. I always take in a couple of different samples unless the worms are very visible in the first one.

My neighbor's new little mixed breed guy is now on a medicine chest full of worm meds himself. They found whip, hook, round and tape in him! His vet also gave him an antibiotic because his trachea was tender. From what her vet said, their tracheas can get tender from ingesting the worms/eggs! Bad news is they just adopted him and the adoption group said he had been wormed and was worm free. My neighbor isn't all that happy with the adoption group right now but it explained the all of a sudden little poop accidents in the house.

Here's to Sherri feeling better after her little unexpected "internal house guests" get evicted. :getwell

You know, she is not acting at all like she feels terrible. She is playing and yesterday, we asked her if she wanted to go

in the car and she started dancing around, so we took her for a ride to the store. She was acting like her normal self.

She has been eating better since Friday night. Another problem in addition to everything else that is going on is that as

of last Wednesday, she wouldn't touch her kibble anymore (Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato). The vet suggested

that we start feeding her something along the same line so we started with Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potato, which

she has be gobbling up. I know it is not the ideal time to try a new food, but she always had great poops with the fish

diet and the vet didn't think there would be a drastic difference between the two. He also said that he has seen that

when a dog's stomach is "off" for whatever reason, they may associate it with their present food and turn their nose up

at it. She got to the point where she wouldn't even get up to look at her dish. So, maybe the meds she is on is helping

her stomach feel a little less unsettled. Tomorrow, we tackle the worms. I wouldn't think that they would have to send

out another sample, do you? I just had one done on Friday and they found nothing. They should be able to visually

identify the worms, don't you think?

Yep, you shouldn't need another fecal or any charge except for meds.

Guest cvtga1

Sounds more like tapeworms. Whipworms can only be seen with a microscope. The only parasites that can be identified with gross examination are rounds and tapes. Tapeworms when passed either appear as rice; which are the segments, each segment contains hundreds of eggs. Animals may also pass larger portions which can appear like a skinny shoelace.

Give her a dose of Drontal and she should be fine.

I then saw something very thin and white.

(I had her go on a newspaper so I could see things easier). I inspected more thoroughly and pulled out about

five or six long (about 2 inches) and very thin worms, I think. Each one had a small thick round end to it.

Whipworms (Trichuris vulpis), in all likelihood. Odd that she got them while on Interceptor; to get mature worms, it takes about 3 months.

Look familiar?

whipworm.gif

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest mandm

I have seen what I assume were whipworms in poop -- looks like very fine thread. You've gotta be looking for them, otherwise you'd never notice.

But then, maybe what I saw wasn't whipworm. I didn't take the sample to the vet to get IDed. I already knew the dog had whips.

Guest sja5032

My friends puppy had tapeworms, I saw and told them before they went to the vet with a stool sample, stool sample came back clean. They told the vet tech that they had seen worms in her poop, she asked rice or spaghetti? lol Tapes being the rice and whips be the spaghetti both are hard to identify in a stool sample. The deworming cocktail should clear things up. Probiotics and a multivitamin are a good idea when using hardcore dewormers to help the dog bounce back and feel better.

I then saw something very thin and white.

Whipworms (Trichuris vulpis), in all likelihood. Odd that she got them while on Interceptor; to get mature worms, it takes about 3 months.

Look familiar?

whipworm.gif

Actually, the worms I am seeing are segmented, so they are tapeworms. It makes sense that they are tapes since

Interceptor does nothing to prevent those. I gave Sherri a Drontal Plus yesterday and will repeat in two weeks.

Guest SoulsMom

Sounds like her bloody stools might have been caused by worms all along. Which is a good thing, given that if it really was HGE finding the cause and preventing another episode can sometimes be tricky.

The vet should be willing to give you Panacur without another fecal. In fact, when Soul was 'building up' to his HGE episode, he was originally dxd with worms based on his symptoms alone.