Raw, Bloody Spot On Tush

I rescued Uri in December when he was 4. His back end was very fluffy and furry. In the last month or so (summer in CT) I noticed he started shedding a lot all over, and his tush got bare like many other greys that I've seen. I gather that shedding is normal when preparing for summer, and I didn't consider a bare butt a problem because so many of them are.

I came home today to find two raw and slightly bloody spots on his high tush. There is one on each side, just below the base of his tail, maybe two inches out from the tail. They are symmetrical on either side of his tail. I wouldn't say they are gashes or anything deep -- just a raw patch that was obviously irritated or chewed at enough to bleed, although not profusely. They are spots that still have some fur around, but it's sparse. It's not as bare as a bit further south, but barer than it used to be. I both spots with soap and water. It did not seem to bother him while I tended to them, nor have I seen him nibbling the area since I got home a few hours ago. My boyfriend was home with him all day and did not notice Uri paying any abnormal attention to his tush, although he does think he saw him biting something down there early in the morning - not in an unusual way. It may be possible that, in a playful moment, he scraped his butt against some furniture, but it seems unlikely that it would result in two equal spots.

[edited] He has not been scooting at all.

Has anyone elses' gray had bloody irritation result from the thin, bare skin on the backside? Or is this highly unusual?

I am very panicky since I am a relatively new dog mom and wondering at what point I should take him to the vet, or if I should give it a few days to see if something heals on its own. Do you know of any good ways to discourage him from investigating and further irritating his rear? I will put his muzzle on, but he is still able to nibble a bit through that.

Thank you!

Edited by Urismom

Guest sheila

sounds like it could be an anal gland issue. There are some little sacs just inside the bum that sometimes get filled with fluid and some dogs need them to be expressed manually. Here is one VERY descriptive website that may help you decide what to do. If you think it IS anal sacs and are not experienced with them I would have a vet check Uri out before attempting to do this yourself.

http://marvistavet.com/html/anal_sacs.html

Thank you for that suggestion. My childhood dog had anal sac problems and had to have removal surgery. :-( It would make sense because they are symetrical areas of irritation on both sides.....but the spots that are bloodied seem to be almost 2 inches away from the anus, so I'm not sure that's it. He also has not been "scooting" on the ground (do greyhounds scoot?).

Guest MyBoys

It does sound like it could be an anal gland issue, especially if he is scooting and trying to drag his bum. I would get it checked out with your vet, Uri will feel better and you will put your mind to ease.

Guest kydie

If you take him to his vet, you will feel better, I still think it could be anual glands, sometimes they need expressed, doesn't mean he will have a problem all the time, each time I go to the vet I have him express their anual glands, no matter what the visit is for, this is the first thing I would look for, you know the old saying "when you hear the sound of hooves, look for hoarses not zebras"

Guest KennelMom

Anal glands sound like a good guess. Greyhounds don't always scoot b/c a lot of them don't really do a lot of sitting to begin with. Biting and licking is more common - which can lead to irriated spots. Can't hurt to have the vet take a look-see.

Guest DoofBert

My bridge angel Sir D had a bout with infected anal glans and he did not scoot... treated with warm compresses on the area (two to three times daily) and some antibiotics.. He was good as new in no time. (Yes, i did the warm compresses!)

And, we only had the problem once!

Easy enough to have the vet check for them.

Good luck.

Edited by DoofBert

Guest sheila
Sorry if my post was not clear - he has not been scooting, which is why I was thinking maybe it wasn't anal sacs.

your post was clear. unfortunately some folks just read the title and/or the first sentence and hit reply.

Guest sja5032

Is there a possibility that he has fleas?? It could be a coincidence that they are symmetrical spots, when my GSD x got bit by a flea (never had fleas just bit by one), he itched off his entire backside pretty much. Another option is some sort of allergy to something airborne (due to appearance in summer), or a food allergy. Anal glands would be they first guess though like everyone else said. I would have they vet do a check of the anal glands and for any sort of flea problem.

Guest KiKi_Girl

In your original post you said you came home and found the spots. The skin is so thin back there it would only take one good scoot...I bet he did it while you were gone. My guess is his glands as well.