Any Tips On Managing Thrombocytopenia

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

Rudy is back from the vet in Jacksonville today. He was well enough to get his shots. I can't say enough good things about Dr. McMillian from San Jose Beauclerc Animal Hospital in Jax. He is fantastic!

He explained that with the low platelets, Rudy gets tired and retreats to his cage. He isn't unhappy, he just doesn't have the energy that Lola has.

His ears look great and his gums are fine. The trip stressed him out though, and he started to have Big D in my backseat, so we quickly pulled over so he could go the rest of the way.

We still don't know what is causing this, and anemia isn't an issue at this point. Any supplements (iron?) or anything else to suggest would be great. Thanks!

Edited by argolola

????

Just hope you finally find the magic bullet and answers you are looking for.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

You can give a supplement called Pet Tinic, my girl is taking that 'cause her platelets, wbc and pcv are low (too low even for a GH). I have tested her for TBD's parasites etc and really can't find the cause so we are supplementing her diet. One thing I might add is she did just have an abscessed tooth extracted last week and today she is acting better than she has in years.

You might want to really take a good look at your puppers teeth, chronic anemia can be caused by periodontal disease.

Guest paulamariez

I second the motion for checking on your hounds teeth. Bueller had really low platelet count for a while that was attributed to his gum disease. After a couple of thorough cleanings and a couple rounds of antibiotics, Bueller's platelet count has gone back up to the normal range. Hugs and doggie kisses to Rudy!

If it were me, I would email Jean Dodds and ask her. I realize you don't know her, but believe me, it doesn't matter.

If you're interested, her email is Hemopet@hotmail.com

Jean has always been more than happy to help with all my Greys

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest argolola
If it were me, I would email Jean Dodds and ask her. I realize you don't know her, but believe me, it doesn't matter.

If you're interested, her email is Hemopet@hotmail.com

Jean has always been more than happy to help with all my Greys

I will do that! Thank you.

As far as his teeth, vets can't believe that either of my pups have bad teeth. Lola didn't even need a dental at age 8 when she had surgery on her eye. Rudy had a dental last year but all his teeth seem to be fine. We have had this problem since we adopted him (2 weeks from the date that he had the cleaning.) I wish it was something that simple. Thanks for the suggestions! You all are great!