Has Anyone Used An Opioid Patch On Their Grey?

Guest Speedhoundz

Guest Speedhoundz

Kane was diagnosed with osteo 4 weeks ago and we've opted for palliative care only. His pain has been fairly controlled until this week. Today he is not bearing any weight on his leg at all, and DH and i decided a while ago that when he stopped using the leg we would let him go. But now that we're in the situation I don't know what to do. His spirits are good and he wants to do all the things he normally does--but his leg doesn't let him. My vet said we could use an opioid patch. Have any of you used it, and did it really make much of a difference?

An opiod patch is very useful for cancer pain. It is called fentanyl or duragesic. It delivers a very consistent dose of narcotic pain reliever and comes in several strengths. I believe the same product that is used on humans is used on dogs. A patch of fur needs to be shaved off (and kept shaved) for it to be effective. The skin is then cleaned of oils and the patch is placed directly on the skin. There can be some mild irritation (mainly because of the adhesive). It is waterproof and is usually changed every 3 days. It can be difficult to remove -- there is a solution that helps dissolve the adhesive if the patch is really stuck.

This patch is also used for significant post operative pain. I had two dogs who had pretty major orthopedic surgery that involved cutting into bone. The patch was prescribed for both of them for a few days to manage their pain. My mom died of cancer (I took care of her in her last few weeks). She used the patch for the last month or two (with percocet for breakthrough pain) until the pain was bad enough that she had to go on morphine concentrate.

If you are going to be the one placing the patches, it is important for your health that you not touch the medicated side of the patch -- not just when it is new but also when you remove it. It will still have some pain killer on it after the 3rd day; just not enough to consistently deliver the correct dosage.

The big downside of it is that it is quite expensive. I haven't bought any without insurance for about 5 years. Back then I think it was around $50 for each patch (ie a 3 day supply). But it could have been $50 for a package of 3 -- my memory isn't that good.

If your pup is still enjoying life, it might be a good solution for you. You will need to monitor him though so he doesn't do too much and injure himself. They just don't understand that even though they feel so much better, they still shouldn't run and jump on the bad leg.

I am not a doc or a vet, just someone who is familiar with these patches. Hope it helps.

Guest PhillyPups

I used a fentanyl patch for SugarBear for pain management with osteo, she was like Kane, in good spirits except for the dang leg. It did help her with the pain. My vet did the changes of the patch.

Opioids may give some additional relief, but you need to also consider that as the disease progresses, the risk of breaking the compromised bone increases.

Sending gentle hugs and best wishes for you and your sweet pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't want to scare you, but I would add a word of caution. When Anna had reconstructive surgery on her front leg, the vet sent her home with a Fentanyl patch. I don't remember the dosage, unfortunately. One of the side effects can be restlessness or anxiety, which would seem counterintuitive. However, the first two nights she was home, she became very anxious after dark and panted heavily. She was fine during the day. That same weekend a friend's dog had a leg amputated and he came home with a Fentanyl patch and the same thing happened. We ended up taking Anna to the e-vet at midnight 2 nights in a row to get a mild dose of a sedative (acepromazine). That did the trick, fortunately. If you think you want to go with the patch and it may turn out to be the best option for you, be sure to ask about the side effects and think about starting with a low dose. None of us want our dogs to be in pain, especially bone pain, but the other end of the spectrum isn't any good for them, either.

Hugs and good thoughts coming your and Kane's way.

Guest longdogs

Fentanyl. It worked to buy a little time for Nugget when she had osteo but I'm not sure I'd do it again. It really is the last link in the chain.