Metacam

Guest UESBrindle

Guest UESBrindle

I emailed our Vet to ask if there was anything I could give William coming off of the 4th of July weekend for overstrained muscles. I emailed him, and he said he would recommend Metacam, and I should go ahead and order it from an online pharmacy and give him his cell and he'd approve it.

My question is, for a 70lb dog, how much is a dose, or rather, how many doses would in a 32 ml bottle vs a 100 ml bottle? I want to have enough to give him for this incident, and also some to keep on hand for future strais or over-exertion that wouldn't necessarily require a vet visit.

I called the local ASPCA hospital, and the pharmacist there said that they're not legally allowed to discuss dosages (since they can vary for breed, type of injury, size, etc.) so I have no way of knowing what size to order online before they call my vet on vacation to approve it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

My Jamey weighs about 30 kg (just under 70 lb) and he was given the instructions to go to the 30 level on the syringe (for 30 kg I believe). This is approximately 3 ml. So there are about 10 doses in a 32 ml bottle, since I think William would get roughly the same amount as Jamey did.

I hope that helps just a bit??

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Energy11

Metacam is dosed by WEIGHT, and the weight in pounds and kilograms is right on the Metacam syringe that you use for dosing :-)0 VERY easy. You will see that on the syringe (no needle, of course)... just the syringe and the dosing. Good Luck.

My Jamey weighs about 30 kg (just under 70 lb) and he was given the instructions to go to the 30 level on the syringe (for 30 kg I believe). This is approximately 3 ml. So there are about 10 doses in a 32 ml bottle, since I think William would get roughly the same amount as Jamey did.

Caution

There is a BIG difference depending on what syringe you are using. Dosage will also depend on whether it is for short amount of time for an acute issue or for long term use with chronic issue.

You may want to see what size syringe that is because there is a one cc/ml syringe with 1-100 delineations as opposed to 3 cc/ml.

3cc of Metacam seems like a huge dose!! Maybe .30 cc is what you mean.... Please use the syringe supplied with the med!

I use to get the 100ml bottle and it would last me approximately three months

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

My question is, for a 70lb dog, how much is a dose, or rather, how many doses would in a 32 ml bottle vs a 100 ml bottle? I want to have enough to give him for this incident, and also some to keep on hand for future strais or over-exertion that wouldn't necessarily require a vet visit.

Your vet needs to answer your questions & tell you what to order, if he's not going to write out a script.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest UESBrindle

Ok- I went ahead and ordered the 32ml. bottle, and will make sure I have a clear dosage amount from the vet before giving it to him. We don't need to give it as an ongoing med, just to have on hand for strains.

Thanks everyone!

Caution

There is a BIG difference depending on what syringe you are using. Dosage will also depend on whether it is for short amount of time for an acute issue or for long term use with chronic issue.

You may want to see what size syringe that is because there is a one cc/ml syringe with 1-100 delineations as opposed to 3 cc/ml.

3cc of Metacam seems like a huge dose!! Maybe .30 cc is what you mean.... Please use the syringe supplied with the med!

I use to get the 100ml bottle and it would last me approximately three months

I was using the syringe that came in the Metacam package. Since I work with these measurements all day know it was approximately 3 ml I was giving Jamey (but it was to the 30 KG mark, which is his body weight).

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Energy11

The syringe that comes in the bottle is the correct one to use. I think it makes it VERY easy. The dogs really seem to like the stuff, too. Good to use when you can't get pills into them.

Ok- I went ahead and ordered the 32ml. bottle, and will make sure I have a clear dosage amount from the vet before giving it to him. We don't need to give it as an ongoing med, just to have on hand for strains.

Thanks everyone!

The syringe that comes in the bottle is the correct one to use. I think it makes it VERY easy. The dogs really seem to like the stuff, too. Good to use when you can't get pills into them.

We use this often. Chase and Jake have been on it for a week now. They gave us the 32 ml bottle since they are both on it. Usually, we get the smaller bottle b/c it is a one-time deal.

Again, as they have explained, it is dosed by weight and that is clearly marked on the bottle.

I think it smells like hyancinths. I frequently give it on a full tummy and with food as well; although, it says you can just squirt it on their tongue. This week Jake has decided not to eat like a farmhand, so he is getting it straight in the mouth after his supper. :blink:

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest BiancasMom

When your vet okays the prescription, he has to also provide instructions to the online pharmacy. But everyone is right...the syringe that is comes with is easy to use.

Guest Grhndad

You can go here and see how many doses you get in the different sizes. I normal get the 32 ml size but with Lexie taking it daily now I got the 100.

Metacam

You can go here and see how many doses you get in the different sizes. I normal get the 32 ml size but with Lexie taking it daily now I got the 100.

Metacam

Wow! I need that site. I am never sure how many doses I will get.

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.