Panting At Night

Guest avelez1981

Guest avelez1981

Hello everyone! My 8 yr old Greyhound has started panting and crying every night since the 4th and WON'T stop. He is eating and disposing of his waste just fine. For years he would be in bed by 9 and recently it's been the opposite. He just walks around panting and crying over and over and over again. Any ideas????? HELP!!!!!!!!!

Well, if it's only happening at night, it could be anxiety from something (like fireworks) that scared him. But the fact that it has continued for 5 nights might be reason enough to get him to the vet just to make sure. Especially since he is just past the 'spring chicken' stage.

I tried to word that delicately. :blush

Are there any other symptoms that you can see like pale gums or vomiting or excessive drinking? Is the weather hot? Or maybe something different at home or with his daily routine that might be bothering him?

Jenn

Edited by jenn8
gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

Guest avelez1981

Hey Jen! Thanks for the response. He has done it every night except maybe one or two. Usually starts between 9-10. He seems fine during the day and all of the sudden he just starts panting and crying. He is eating and using the bathroom just fine/normal for him. His gums look just fine. We live in Atlanta, so it's the middle of summer. However, our house is always cool. Haven't changed our routine or location. It's just really wierd! Since he turns 8 next month, we are kinda freaking out a little...

That's probably it. I would just keep a close eye on him and see if the panting stops when the fireworks die down.

That is so annoying.

I tell the guys around here that they must not be able to get dates if they're still playing with fireworks a week after 4th of July!

Jenn

Guest avelez1981

Do you think I should take him to the vet tomorrow? He is VERY spoiled!! So I just don't know if he is being a diva or actually has an issue. Especially since I didn't hear any tonight. Ahhhhhh...

Ps

thanks for helping with this:)

He has been a diva for a while, yes? But he just started panting and crying? Any change in behavior like that means something, and it can be dangerous to assume it's just psychological. Since he's 8, this wasn't his first 4th. I'd go to the vet and get bloodwork at least. But I'm offering that as support, not in a finger-wagging way. ;)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Yeah, it's the only way to put your worries to rest at this point. And like greyhead says, the change in behavior means something. Hopefully it is not medical but best to rule that out at the vet.

Jenn

is your dog cool enough during these hot days? i have noticed that my 8 year old is not taking the heat as well as she used to- even a noticable change when we go for walks. even though i might not be hot, she often is. sometimes at night when she needs to go out she will lie on the couch and pant. do take the advice and see your vet. hopefully it's just part of the aging process.

Guest avelez1981

Thanks everyone. I took him in today and they ran blood work. His white blood cell and platelet count was down from the last blood check 5 months ago. Gave him some meds to see if it's tick related. Have any of you guys heard of this?