What To Use To Help The Itchies?

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Both Spencer & Buzz are very itchy. There's no bumps or raw patches or anything but when I pet them on their backs their skin ripples. They don't have fleas and it's all over not just in one spot. I have been giving them large doses (per the vet) of Benedryl but it's not working any more. Is there something else someone can recommend?

Lots of dogs do the skin-rippling, and it isn't always a sign of allergies. I'm a dog groomer, and we get dogs at work that do this during a haircut.

If your dogs aren't rubbing or scratching or otherwise harming themselves or irritating their skin, there may not be a problem.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Spencers_Greyt
Lots of dogs do the skin-rippling, and it isn't always a sign of allergies. I'm a dog groomer, and we get dogs at work that do this during a haircut.

If your dogs aren't rubbing or scratching or otherwise harming themselves or irritating their skin, there may not be a problem.

They're itchy trust me - lots of nitting and scratching etc.

Chlortab, over the counter, two tabs twice a day until symptoms subside. i put it in cheese.

Finding no matches for in at Walgreens - what is it exactly?

Guest FoxNPeggysMom

chlorphenermine, it's an antihistamine

i buy the walgreen's brand wal-finate

misspelled....chlorpheniramine

Benadryl works for Wayne through the summer months, but if nothing OTC works, ask your vet what he/she thinks about a very low dose of Pred

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest 4baddogs
Both Spencer & Buzz are very itchy. There's no bumps or raw patches or anything but when I pet them on their backs their skin ripples. They don't have fleas and it's all over not just in one spot. I have been giving them large doses (per the vet) of Benedryl but it's not working any more. Is there something else someone can recommend?

Kirby gets really itchy (dry skin) in the winter. I buy DermCaps and while you're supposed to pop one in their food, I just hand it to him and he eats it. :colgate I think they make it in a liquid, too. You can get them at Petsmart, Petco, Dr. Fosters & Smith, etc.

Have they always had the itchies?

What do they eat? Have they always eaten that?

Rather than meds, I would try:

- Brushing 1-2 times a day with a rubber grooming mitt

- Fish oil caps, start with 1 1000mg, work up to 2-3 per day (if you start with too many, might get loose poop)

- Different food

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree with Batmom. Most people who give fish oil don't give the right dosage for good skin and heart health.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Just don't MIX the Benedryl with other OTC or vets meds, without contacting the vet first. Benedrly does sedate, and lowers blood pressure and heartrate to a degree. We just need to be careful mixing meds, especially antihistamines, as they all basically the same effect.

ME? I tell the vet, look, the Benedrly isn't working what else do you have to help them? More than likely, he/she will call something in, or they have it there, as they know about your dogs' problems already. When I worked at my vets in Florida, we sold a lot of medicated shampoo for your problem. THAT might help too. I WISH I remembered the name, but I am sure your vet carries something similar.

Good luck! I know I hate itching :-( :weep:crazy

Guest kydie

I too think I would give them a bath with something to help the skin, or contact a good groomer and set up an appointment, can't be any more expensive than a vet visit and meds, Bendryl is an antihistime, if that's not working then move on to something topical, bath, and oil in food, when my hound came of the track, his skin and coat were a mess, fish oil, brushing and a groomer visit helped muchly Good Luck

Guest SusanP

2 of mine get seasonal itchies (mostly during ragweed season, same as me). The vet recommends starting the Benedryl before the itching begins, and I give baths to remove pollen when it's bad, with an anti-itch, non-soap shampoo or even just plain water. It doesn't help 100%. I tried a couple of other antihistimines with similar non-results. (They never do that much for my allergies, either). Luckily, the itching isn't constant or even enough to disrupt their skin/fur, but I know from personal experience it's annoying.

We tried fish oil, too, one year, with no difference, but I don't remember the dose--maybe I'll see about trying a higher dose this time around.

Edited by SusanP