Eyedrop Application Tips?

Mabel does not have pannus (phew) but she does have a nasty corneal abrasion.

We have drops and ointment. Drops hourly, and ointment for the times we can't do hourly (at work, night time, etc)

She was fione at the vet, but does not like getting the drops fromme. And I'm not liking stressing her out by having to chase her all over the house every hour to get 2 drops in her eye.

It will be easier when my DH gets back from a business trip, and can hold her still, but does anyone have any tips to make this easier?

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

greytalk-siggie-feb-2023.jpg

When I had to give Sam eye drops I called him into the kitchen, gave him a little treat, then stood kind of behind him and to the side. At that point I just lifted the dropper above the eye and he instinctively looked up at it and I released the drops. I hope this helps. I was lucky in that Sam didn't mind the eye drops.

Good luck and hope your little girl gets better soon.

Guest KennelMom

Not sure how you're approaching things, but if I know a dog is going to squirm I've found it easiest to straddle the dog facing the same direction they are. I can use my legs to hold them steady and have my hands free to apply the drops, pill them or whatever.

Hope her eye heals up quickly! :getwell

Yup, exactly what Heather said. :) I've become pretty adept at delivering eyedrops. Straddling the dog (while they're standing) allows me maximum control.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Gus just comes and stands in the kitchen doorway and stares at me until I come and put them in. He is very good at reminding me. Glad it was not Pannus. Corneal abrasions can be very painful. If stradling is what works for you, make sure that her butt is up against the wall so she cant back out from between your legs.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Well, the latest application was easy - she just lay on the bed and didn't even flinch. Fingers crossed that she stays easy!

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

greytalk-siggie-feb-2023.jpg

Keep in mind that pannus could develop....make sure you take your dog back for the required checkups. Buddy had two corneal abrasions (over the years) and after the second one he DID develop pannus in that eye. They think it was the second abrasion that kicked his immune system into overdrive.

Good luck with the drops. Buddy was on ointment, which could also be a pain.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest davidml

When I gave drops to Justine in her right eye, I face her using MY right hand; kind of like a vulcan mind meld ( star treck think ) I held open her right eye with my birdy finger. Tilter her head up and put the drops right in. Kind of hard to explain, easier to video.