Cuts And Other Injuries

Guest limbrooke83

Guest limbrooke83

Hi everyone,

DH and I are getting ready to bring home our first grey, hopefully this week. Before we get her home, I want to make sure I'm as prepared as can be for any accidents or injuries that could occur (though of course we never want to think about those things!). I've ordered a first aid kit and some vet wrap from my adoption group, but I'm not sure I'd know how or when to use it, and when to take our dog to the vet for possible stitches.

What are the signs of a cut that requires veterinary attention? I've heard greys bleed a lot, even from a small cut, so I'm afraid I'll see lots of blood if our dog gets hurt and freak out and rush her to the vet (or even an E-vet if it's late!), only to find out the trip was completely unnecessary.

Also, what do you do to treat a cut that doesn't need veterinary attention? Obviously you'd clean it, but after that would you just put some sterile gauze on it and wrap it with vet wrap? Or is there something else I'm forgetting? I've had dogs before, but none with skin as thin as a greyhound, so none that really got injured easily. If my dogs got injured, off to the vet they went. However, upon hearing that many minor injuries on greys can be treated at home just fine, I'm curious how to go about that.

One more question: I'm assuming if the dog does have a serious injury the best course of action is to put pressure on it while taking the dog to the vet. Is there anything else? I apologize if these seem like really "newbie" questions, but I do want to be as prepared as possible for any future injuries our dog could sustain. As I said, I hate to even think about it, but I know I need to be prepared - just in case. Thanks!

-Brooke

Guest sheila

this is a tough question because so much may depend on where the cut is and how deep it is. I had a grey that got a small cut around what would be his armpit area. It was only about 1/4" but within 24 hrs it had stretched to over an inch across and developed a pocket of loose skin around it from his running around in the yard. I think if you are in doubt it would be best just to take the dog in.

It hasn't been my experience that greyhounds bleed a lot. In fact because of their thin skin many of the cuts are only skin deep and don't bleed much at all. For minor cuts I have just flushed the area with water and used some type of anti-bacterial type spray and left it open to air if I could. If my dogs have been prone to or able to lick at the wound and cause more problems I have used a muzzle with a stool guard inside of it to prevent the licking.

Bottom line is to trust your own common sense and if you are really unsure then err on the side of caution and take the dog to the vet.

An interesting discussion on the subject a while ago:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...3&hl=nickel

My rule of thumb is "size of a nickel," give or take depending upon the location.

For "treat and release" around the house- wash with diluted povidone iodine, and cover. Of course, that second bit is like saying, "And fix the economy and drive a GM." When they finally figure out how to line a fry pan with greyhound fur, they'll have surpassed Teflon. Rule #1: nothing will stick to greyhound fur. Mercifully, greyhounders are sufficiently neurotic about their dogs that we have workarounds for a lot of individual problems.

Best advice: post a pic and ask what to do if there's any question.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I agree with those above: some cuts very obviously need veterinary attention, some obviously do not.

It really depends, also on how painful the dog is. Naples tore dewclaws on several occasions, but she was never painful, or lost a lot of blood till the last one. And even then, she did not bleed much. But the nail was obviously dislocated, and VERY painful for her (had I not muzzled her, she'd have bitten me: VERY uncharacteristic for her!). So she needed veterinary attention. She has been dewclaw free for over a year now.

And when Manero (non-Grey) cut his foot, I initially did not think it was too bad. I wrapped it tightly, and rested him for an hour, and when I removed the wrap, I found out in a hurry that there was arterial involvement. He ended up needing surgery.

But we have had many cuts and abrasions here that have required little more than antibiotic ointments and vet wrap (at most). Many more simply needed healing time. Like the time Cooper opened up a hole on top of his muzzle: we had just moved unto the new house, and he did not see the fence: ran right into it. I had to run to the drug store for supplies, because we did not know which box our stuff was in! He was fine. A little cleanup, and watching for a few days, and we had no trouble.

But as said, so much depends on where the wound is, and what the size is. If the wound is arge (larger than a nickel, say), and/or in a spot that moves a lit (like the webbing between the toes), I would get the dog in. But if it's something you'd be unlikely to see a doctor for on yourself, you are probably safe to treat it yourself on your dog, too.

*Edited to add: if you have ANY doubts, get thee to a vet. Better to be overprotective, than not protective enough!

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest sheila
But as said, so much depends on where the wound is, and what the size is. If the wound is arge (larger than a nickel, say), and/or in a spot that moves a lit (like the webbing between the toes), I would get the dog in.

I've never had much luck with taking a dog in for a cut/tear in the webbing between the toes. Even when I've had it stitched the stitches tear out within a day and we're in the same place we started from. Now when I see that I just clean it well and wrap it for a week or so.

Guest KennelMom

I think this is just one of those things you learn over time...Location of a wound makes a big difference. On areas of the body that move a lot (like around their legs), a small wound can tear into a big wound quite easily. Those usually need to be stitched closed. if it's on the head, back, back of the thigh or other places that are fairly stationary, you can heal a superficial wound quite easily at home with no stitches. It takes longer and is more likely to leave a scar than if you had it stitched up. Deep punctures can often need antibiotics b/c you can't really clean something like that out very well...you can get the surface disinfected, but deep down is outta reach (usually).

When in doubt, it's usually best to take them in.

I dont' think greyhounds bleed more than any other dog....but they tend to have the thinner skin that tears more. You may want to buy Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound to have at home as a reference. Even a layperson can pick up a few good tips and pointers from it, even though it's geared more towards a medical professional or trainer.

But as said, so much depends on where the wound is, and what the size is. If the wound is arge (larger than a nickel, say), and/or in a spot that moves a lit (like the webbing between the toes), I would get the dog in.

I've never had much luck with taking a dog in for a cut/tear in the webbing between the toes. Even when I've had it stitched the stitches tear out within a day and we're in the same place we started from. Now when I see that I just clean it well and wrap it for a week or so.

Good point. I was thinking of that one, having had no experience with it. But it was the first example tht came to mind...

um, how 'bout the "armpit" as an example of a place that moves a lot? :lol

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Two thoughts

First - only you know what you can deal with comfortably at home. Some people just can't doctor their own hound and there's nothing wrong with taking them in - ever!

Generally, If it's large, jagged with hanging skin, more than superficial/skin deep, OR if it gets larger over time - it needs to be seen by a vet if only to pick up some antibiotics and to get cleaned and debrided. Stitching is not always needed, even with large rips, if it's in a spot that gets pulled with normal movement as the stitches will just fail. They usually can't be redone since the wound looses more skin in the process, and you're back to home management anyway.

Second - If you're really wanting to be prepared for anything the Red Cross has a great Pet First Aid course. It's relatively cheap and you'll feel better able to deal with emergencies if you have some training.

Good luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly