Moving On In A Life Without Ted

Guest tedsmom

Guest tedsmom

hi all---i found myself today talking about ted and the silly things he did with just a slight catch in my voice instead of buckets of tears and sobs. i was even able to look at pictures and guess what kind of mood he was in and smile to myself. acceptance sucks but it makes things a little smoother i guess. i have quit listening for the clicks of his toe nails on the hardwood floor or the slide-thud as he dropped and flopped on the kitchen tiles....when i think of hime i picture that silly tail going 100 mph and how he velcroed himslf to me the first 10 minutes i got home or when he looked at me as if saying "you are my mom and i love you"

britty gets the second phase of her treatment tomorrow and i worry for her as she is still depressed. i have noticed she is laying more in the middle of the "dog spot" rather to one side as she always left room for ted. i think she has figured out he is not coming back. :( the arthritis is moving into both ankles/feet now, so now i know how poor aero the arthritic horse feels.

i was craving a greyhound so badly today...wondered for a moment if i could get a hound at a hound store or on the "black market"... lol...i need to get another dog for britty to have with her eventually--she is lonely and just doesnt bond with the other dogs like she does with a "sibling". and my heart needs to love one more.

i brought two new ducklings home this weekend to bring some more new life into the house-it has done my heart good.

teds death has been very difficult for me---one of the hardest things i have dealt with ever-thank you to everyone for your support...i wish none of us ever had to post in this subject. but alas, it does and thankfully we have this support.

cathy my roommate and i talked tonight about the greyhound spirit and i told her that i was sure ted will let us know he is still with us in one way or another---knowing him he will let all the horses out or knock the garbage over or make the "yucky" vegetarian dog food storage container mysteriously disappear--

something quirky and ted like. :rolleyes:

i have talked with two members of the group i used to belong to during the ATD (After Ted Died---i dont like saying it so i abbreviated it) and they have helped me so much---bless your hearts yvonne and tami. but it is hard to hear them talk about things they are going to do or have done with their dogs...i wish i were saying an doing the same things.

i doubt my group i resigned from ATD will ever allow me to foster or adopt again due to the fact that i lost two under my care. so i will have to love the breed from afar and maybe find some other dog that needs love eventually.

i found this picture of ted today-he was semi relaxing semi pouting -- he played hard that day and was pouting because i refused to give him a different type of dog food than britty, who gets a vegetarian or duck/potato food for her allergies. i tried to give them both different kinds but britty snuck teds and broke out in allergies again. (actually i think they conspired it) so ted would pout then finally resign. what a silly picky boy....<sigh> how i miss him.

again, thank you all for everything---i am trying to hold onto my happy moments of his life with me when he was finally joyous happy and carefree and not scared and miserable and finally found true unconditional accepting love.....

post-15-1052108438.jpg

i doubt my group i resigned from ATD will ever allow me to foster or adopt again due to the fact that i lost two under my care. so i will have to love the breed from afar and maybe find some other dog that needs love eventually.

Why would they deny your adoption? Sometimes things just happen to dogs. It's sad, but it's not your fault at all. I don't see why they would deny you the privilege of fostering or adopting, but if for some reason they would, I would find a different group to work with :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest FullMetalFrank

I agree with kristen; dogs are, like all living things, mortal... And along with that comes the day we must all face, and whether it is sooner or later, it's going to come, for all of us. You gave Ted a happy life for his last days. And I am not sure what happened to your other grey, was it a car accident? But neither situation is your fault. Take some time out for yourself, and please stop blaming yourself, when the time is right you'll be able to think about getting another grey. Try not to be so hard on yourself.

Again, it's not your fault about Ted, and I can't imagine your group holding your tragedy against you. But I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. Feel free to stay here, whether you decide to get a greyhound or not.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Dash

I have thought a great deal about your sudden loss of sweet Ted. I am so sorry that he was taken from you like this. I've had Dash just about a year now, and the bond is getting so strong, I can't imagine how hard it will be the day he is gone.

I agree with the others--you are not to blame for his loss, and you have a lot to offer in the way of a loving home for a greyhound. When the time is right, you will know. I hope you will adopt again!

Guest BrockGusDad

So glad to see your progress...

It is indeed a very difficult journey. Despite the support of so many, one feels so all alone. That is the way with grief.

Your heart is open... a good thing. Ted wants it that way. You will know when it is time.