Front Leg Fracture

Guest katieandpadfoot

Guest katieandpadfoot

My girl Katie is 4 years old and is having surgery today to repair a fracture of her front radius and ulnar bone...close to her wrist. They are going to try to use an external fixiture on her.....Does anyone have any advice or helpfull hints on how I can help her in the comming weeks?

Guest knitkass

More positive thoughts to you and Katie!

For helping her, make sure you've got carpets down on anything slippery. She's going to be walking a little differently, and she'll feel better if she's got good traction.

And lots and lots of cookies!

I suggest contacting GIJenn51 she rehabbed after his surgery for what sounds like a similar injury. I know that watching for infection is crucial.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest katieandpadfoot

Hi there!!!

Since I'm new to this...how would I go about contacting GIJenn51?

Also thank you all for the well wishes....I'm still waiting to hear how she is doing!!! Getting nervous!!!! :(

Guest wmlcml6

We've had several external fixators around here, unfortunately. Jenn fostered Tiger and Player. TJ had one, too, but we kept him here and he was only three months old (broke his knee cap).

It required a lot of bandage changes and check ups to make sure no infection set in. Pain meds and antibiotics, for sure. IF you have a nice quiet place where your girl can stay during this time it would be great. Maybe a walk in closet with a baby gate at the doorway? That's what Jenn uses as her "rehab" room. Fixators can easily get caught on crate wire, and it's really hard to get comfortable and/or turn around with the bad leg in a crate.

We went online and bought a large box of 4x4 gauze pads to go between the leg and the metal fixator. That way if the leg swells, it doesn't swell right into the metal hardware. If you aren't used to bandaging, I am betting you'll have quite a few vet trips so they can do the bandage changes. It's necessary, and hopefully they included the follow up care in the price of the surgery for you. Our follow ups are included up until the stitches are taken out.

You can pm gijenn51 and she'll get it. She works from 5 to 10'ish each evening, and has school at various time during the day, but I'm sure she'll be happy to give you her own experience as soon as she has time.

Good luck with your girl. I hope she heals beautifully.

Here is a picture of Player with his boo boo leg.

november4player.jpeg

Guest shanozdog

My girl Rocca had one - KE Device, on her right rear leg which was a racing injury that was not set and had to be re-broken. We took her in as our first foster a few days after the surgery, she was two years old at the time. She did not get along with the other female in the original foster home, so we volunteered and that was almost two years ago. We failed foster 101.

She was walking on the leg when she arrived, device and all. Within a week she would try to run, which she was not supposed to do. About two weeks after we got her, she ran into the side of a doorway and actually moved one of the pins. The vet was amazed, those pins are hard to move. He fixed them and added a few weeks on to her "release" date. She did it again, we still don't know how and bent the pins that time. He re-did the whole devise, setting the pins at an angle. That helped and she was sprung in about four weeks. It worked great, her leg healed fine.

As for the care, the posts had to be cleaned with Betedine on gauze 3x a day. We put those foam things you use around pipes to cover the brackets so they would not hurt her, the walls, etc. We held them on with little velcro straps, and it worked well.

Best advise is to keep your girl from running or bashing the device into things. Good luck, hope your girl does well.

Guest LynnM

If the surgery hasn't been done already, get a second opinion. There is so little blood flow and flesh in that area that it is a real challenge to get it to heal around a bunch of hardware. Many times it simply won't heal. Make sure that your surgeons feel confident about getting the wounds healed up so that you're not back to square one in 4 months. Casting is often preferable for this reason, even though it may not leave the bones perfectly straight.

Lynn

Guest katieandpadfoot

Hi everyone!!

Katie came through the surgery well. The surgeon was very pleased as to how things looked afterward. We should be able to bring her home tomorrow!!!!

Please if anyone else out there has advice or more hints on how to help her please let me know!!!!

Thanks again!!!!