Any Bad Skin Reactions To Advantix

Hi,

we have been using frontline plus and seeing all the posts on here I MAY switch to advantix. Lexie is sensitive however she has no problem with frontline. I was wondering if anyone's gray had any bad reactions to advantix before I make my decision.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest RJNear

Hi

I just started our grey, Leslie on Advantix and the only thing we saw for the day after we apply if she acts as if the area it was applied itches. This only lasted for a day with no visible indication of reaction on skin. We had no change in activity or eating. Leslie will be 3 in August.

Robert

Guest Lacie

I've only had reactions with Frontline, no problems with Advantix. I did, however, just switch to Comfortis which is only flea protection. I'm not in a tick-infested area but am visiting them last this summer and the girls will get the tick collars (that I cannot remember the name of :wacko: , but spoke with the vet about).

Guest crazy4greys

My vet will NOT sell Advantix to greyhound owners. He said he has seen very bad reactions.

I use Advantage with a Preventic collar. Have never had any problems.

Guest boondog
we were told by our adoption place not to use preventive collars?

I think you're thinking of standard flea collars. Those are an absolute no-no for greys. Preventic collars prevent ticks and are safe for greyhounds. However, IIRC, they are not safe for use on or around cats.

Edited by boondog

Do be careful that your greyhound doesn't EAT the Preventic collar, however. Their skinny heads can allow for that collar to come off, and if you've got a silly puppy like mine, you may find yourself with a problem.

Drake was fine - but there was some concern. Luckily he had only had a small window of time in which to eat it - only an hour or so at most. We learned how to make greyhounds throw up, and then did a lot of phone follow-up with the company and with the animal poison control people.

We no longer use those collars though.

Guest FordRacingRon

I wondered the same but found when I posted about this maybe a month ago I had more people tell me aobut the negative reactions with Advantix so I decided against it. Frontline plus stopped working for some reason but I had bought a 3 months supply. I switched to Advantage and the fleas have disappeared but now there is no tick prevention. I am going to alternate between FL and Advantage but if one tick shows up I am buying a Preventix collar too. When the FL runs out, staight to the collar and Advantage ticket.

Guest ShelbyzMom

Shelby had a terrible reaction to it :( as soon as I put it on her, she started wiping it off madly. Frontline quit killing the fleas, so she's been switched to advantage. We're in an area prone to ticks, but they shouldn't be as bad where we're moving.

One of our adopter's greyhounds died after being dosed with Advantix - went into seizures that couldn't be controlled. This is certainly not a typical reaction, but I am loathe to use any product containing permethrin on greyhounds.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

John E used to pant and rub his back against the wall. We stopped using it. It may more effective for certain things, but the discomfort was not worth it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds