Bad News

Guest diagirl

Guest diagirl

Dia has been limping for a few months. At first we thought it was a shoulder, but when I took her to a surgeon, he thought it was neurological because her neck was stiff. Dia went to see the neurologist. They recommended an MRI, but I couldn't afford it then. We tried prednisone and acupuncture, and it was going well, but for the last several days, she's been squealing in pain again. We had the MRI done yesterday, and he said there was a mass. He mentioned the vertebrae (7, I think) and then he said the word, "Osteosarcoma." He said we couldn't do surgery and chemo won't address it. Radiation will provide relieve from pain, but that's it. We've got her on Prednisone and Tramadol right now.

I didn't ask how big the tumor was, or how long she has, and he's now out of the office until Tuesday.

I'm asking the GT group for information. Masses in vertebrae are not that usual and there is very little information to be found.

Can anyone tell me how fast the disease progresses and what to expect (especially since it is pressing down on the spine)?

Thanks.

Guest eaglflyt

I don't have any information to share, but I'm so very sorry you have this news. I will be praying for Dia, your family, and you. ((((HUGS))))

Guest trevdog

I'm sorry to hear this...I have no idea either. You may want to contact OSU and also join Circle of Grey on yahoo groups.

I lost my boy to OS of the ribs, and it grows very quickly....

edited to add, how do they know for sure? OS usually presents in a "moth -eaten" appearance many times, is this what they saw? Or did they do a needle aspirate as well? Definitely consult with OSU.

Edited by trevdog

Guest jurishound

Oh, no. Do consider getting a second opinion from OSU - they are wonderfully reassuring and a second opinion will give you some peace of mind. :grouphug

Sending prayers for your pupper and gentle hugs for both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My first grey, Kansas was diagnosed with a spinal tumor. She had a very noticeable limp for a few months, x-rays of her limbs showed nothing, an MRI confirmed the tumor. Once diagnosed she had a good three weeks or so until I had to put her down due to pain, inability to walk. I kept her comfortable on pain meds until it was too much for her. She was only 8 when diagnosed. Best of luck to you and Dia, I will keep her in my thoughts.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

I am so sorry to hear the bad news about Dia! What an awful place to have a tumor appear! :-(

I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and your girl.