Drake In For Surgery Today

Guest FLT

Update: Drake is VERY glad to be home, and he is being very pitiful indeed. We are of course doting on him (gave him a double-stacked dog bed for extra special princess and the pea style comfort), and have given him all the drugs he is allowed. He whined a LOT on the way home, poor guy.

After I gave him dinner and drugs, he laid down on his double stuff and whined softly until I got down on the floor and stroked his head until he fell asleep.

I went out to the store to get myself therapy for the weekend (ice cream, soda, and frozen veggies) and DH said that Drake whined the whole time I was gone. I think he's a little spoiled.

We are to restrict him to a small room for at least 2 weeks, and not allow him to run, jump or play. When he goes out to potty we have old IV bags to put over his bandages to keep them clean and dry. We have a small potty run, so we don't have to leash him for potty - but we do have to go out with him to make sure he doesn't run or jump. We also have a cone for him if necessary - but I'm hoping that we can leave it off him most of the time (with supervision, of course!)

They sent him home with Tramadol HCL 100ml twice a day (pain meds), Cephalexin 750mg three times a day (antibiotic), Ciprofloxcin 250 mg twice a day (antibiotic) and I'm to also use his Metacam on him once a day as usual. All those antibiotics are in addition to the R-Gel antibiotic they put right into both wounds that will absorb in over the next couple of weeks. I also give him one pepcid a day to help buffer his belly against the Metacam.

For those interested in the costs involved the entire Surgery was $2,707.33. We go back on Tuesday for a bandage change and wound check, and again the following Monday for the same. After that we'll see what the Doc prefers to do.

Labs will be at least a week - so please keep those good thoughts coming - we appreciate them!!

Photos below.

The Whole Sad Drake

3554778557_0b104d7d2d_b.jpg

Close up of rear leg and it's bruising

3555589108_07645048e8.jpg

Close up of Front Leg (the original paw we went in for) and the bruising around his shoulder

3555589246_deed89db82.jpg

Lastly his sister, Kaylee - who was envious that I was paying too much attention to Drake.

3555588970_32f8e036da_b.jpg

Your pups are so precious, and glossy!

Drake does look pitiful, but who wouldn't in his position?

Sending gentle scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor guy, that looks painful. Praying you get no more surprises from the results.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest eaglflyt

Oh, bless his heart. I'm praying for excellent lab results and for a quick and complete recovery from his surgery. Poor guy, 2 legs at the same time seems a double dose of trouble for him.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh, poor kid... I hope he heals quickly; he is such a pretty, shiny boy! Sending more prayers for the "things" to be benign!

Update: Food, Drugs and Pees

Last night for pre-bed time meal (we feed 3x a day in our house, because Kaylee won't let us sleep past 3am if we don't feed her again before bed - and even so she's whining for breakfast by 5am most mornings) Drake wouldn't get up out of his dog bed. He started to, but then laid back down and whined softly. Of course I fed him in bed (doh - bad trend mommy!).

I didn't want to put the cone on him, and he wasn't interested in moving - so I slept on the sofa in the living room to be near him and spent a restless night waking up every 30 min or so to look over and make sure he wasn't licking or chewing on his bandages.

On the bright side I did win a bet with DH regarding Kaylee. He figured she'd come to bed with him (memory foam - nice!) but I figured she'd probably hang with me in the living room. I put down an extra dog bed on the floor so she wouldn't try to share Drake's bed and she slept out with me 95% of the night. She occasionally went down to the bedroom, but never stayed there. I am looking forward to my victory massage!

I fed breakfast at 6m (after making Kaylee lie back down for an extra hour after she started to whine) and I was able to encourage Drake to get up out of his dog bed and come over to the raised feeder for food. He whined, but he managed.

After foodies I put Kaylee out so I could shove lots of cheese (with pills inside) into Drake for dessert. He's a good boy, and is always happy to chow down on cheese. Then I brought Kaylee in and encouraged Drake to go out (three small steps to go down to the potty run) and I watched to make sure he didn't try to run around. He was a good boy and peed, then came back up.

As soon as he got back into the house he jumped right up onto the sofa I had been sleeping on (warm, with a blanket and a pillow!) and has settled down for a nice change of location nap. He isn't supposed to be jumping - so bad Drake!!! But he's already up, so I'm not going to make him jump down! LOL

I did bring up the sofa issue with the doc and they allowed as how if he really is insistent on getting up there and if he is likely to settle for a good long time once he is there we can not make it too much of an issue. He is also allowed in bed with us if he wants, but I doubt he'll want to for a while. He has always been a "sleep apart" guy if he's in pain.

Anyway - the bruising is coming up a bit darker this morning - but everything else looks the same.

FL

Drake is starting to get meh on cheese with pills inside - he was slow to eat dinner too (had to be encouraged - which is not usual for him) so I wonder if the meds are putting him off his food, or if he's just uncomfortable enough to not want to eat.

I tried to give him his 5 pills after dinner and he turned his nose up at the cheese balls. I finally smeared peanut butter over the cheese and he ate them then.

Will have to start thinking of other things to put pills in - he's usually so easy!!

Thanks for the pill suggestions - I appreciate it. I was able to switch up flavors of cheese tonight and get his antibiotics down him with some swiss (but that was just the two pills that he gets 3x a day). We'll do our best to get the breakfast lot of 5 pills down him, and then I'll go find some other options at the store. :-D

Drake had a pretty good day today, despite not wanting dinner. I'm debating sleeping on the sofa again tonight, or seeing if he wants to come down to the bedroom. (DH is worried that we will roll onto a paw and hurt him though). Oh, nvm - update is that DH will take a turn on the sofa (he's a good man).

So far we haven't had a problem with him messing with his bandages. I am hopeful that until he gets feistier we don't have to break out the cone to keep him from chewing on his bandages. Fingers crossed!

Night to all! Here is hoping that tomorrow is a good healing day!

FL

Guest Greytnorth

Get better soon Drake!!!. I'm sure that you're going to be spoiled until you're all better. Wishing you lots of scritches and belly rubs!!!! :getwell

I am going to start a new thread showing Drake's healing progress in daily photos..

We'd love continued good thoughts regarding the biopsy and culture results too!

FL

You've got continued good thoughts! Eagerly awaiting pics, too :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.