Anal Glands

As far as I know my greys have never had their anal glands expressed. I have had other breeds and the vet would always express them when they went for their physicals. I am wondering if Willy needs his expressed as he is having a lot of very smelly gas. I have not changed his food so I was wondeering if this could be the cause. Thanks for anyones input.

Make a fast friend adopt a greyhound

springflat.jpg

Could be. Wouldn't hurt to check. Usually you will see some sort of discomfort about that area -- licking, straining a little after a poop, etc., but not always. I usually have the vet check them when the pups go in for their shots.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

NONE of mine have ever had their anals expressed. I can do it if necessary, but it, luckily, it never has been :-)

I doubt it would be the cause of bad gas, but it wouldn't hurt to ask your vet.

Good Luck! Gas stinks ... Literally! :-(

Guest ss556

For the first 6.5 yrs that I had Alan, his anal glands were never expressed. Then one day when DH took him in for something, they said it was needed. I would say in the last two years, the vet expressed them 2 or 3 times.

Guest Dillymom

My vet said it was less common for big dogs to need their expressed...that said last week Lola's became impacted and I didn't notice until she started rubbing her bum on the ground. She caused an absess. We went to the vet and he said both showed signs of infection so she is still on antibiotics for it. Not fun.

Dogs with firm poop and good muscle tone express their own anal glands when they poop. (The gland gets squeezed between muscles and the poop.)

A dog with soft poop (or diarrhea) might need a bit of help. Hence, the butt scooting.

You typically won't get gas or a gassy smell from a dog needing assistance with its anal glands. The, um, "butt juice" involved in anal glands smells like dead fish and is pretty unmistakable.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I had never had anyone's anal glands expressed until last week. 3 of mine went in for routine check, and the vet ad one girl's anal glands expressed. Didn't think there was a problem, but did it just in case, since I had mentioned that sometime sh chewed on her tail.