Panting

Guest wjamg

Guest wjamg

Does anyone know why my girl might be panting? she doesn't seem to be in pain, its not all the time but when she begins to pant her whole body shakes. Just a bit ago, we were laying on the couch together watching tv and she began to pant really hard. She wasn't covered up and the house is not hot, in fact, I had a blanket covering myself.

just wondering what is causing this, she seems to feel fine, walks, plays, runs and eats as normal

Guest kineticpoet

Was she recently scared/nervous or is there unrest in the house? I only ask because my boy will pant a lot when he is nervous or unsure, if he's recently scared (ie: something fell on the floor in the kitchen a little bit ago, or a loud boom on tv, etc - he's a spook and super sensitive). If I'm moody, or there is too much going on around him he'll stand like a statue and pant, pant, pant.

I've learned that panting is pain, heat or stress. When was her last vet exam?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest tumeria33

Panting can be a sign of stress, not just being hot. Many things can trigger it. Was there a loud noise on the TV while you were watching it? Anything going on outside?

I've learned that panting is pain, heat or stress. When was her last vet exam?

I agree with Robin. If this continues, I would have your vet give her a thorough examination to rule out pain, a heart problem, etc.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest MAXNAV

Vet check needed. Need to check the heart & thyroid. The panting issues appeared in my guy, while just laying down, with no prior activity whatsoever. The first time, it was low thyroid. As he got to be about 11ish the panting started again. I immediately thought it was thyroid related and brought him right in to be checked, but it was CHF. He was put on meds and did wonderful!

Loca pants when she needs to go out so it's not always pain. still a good idea to have her checked at the vet.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest knitkass

Callay has been panting a lot lately too, but she's been running a fever and is likely in a bit of discomfort from having a very upset tummy with diarrhea. I'd get her a checkup.

Guest wjamg

Peace had a complete checkup, bloodwork etc at her annual exam just a couple months ago..our vet does "senior" checks once the dogs are around seven..everything checked out okay, I called and asked if I should bring her in and she suggested just putting a cold cloth on her belly when she pants like that..the dog insisted on running in the backyard tonight, she was panting hard when she finished and I tried the wet cloth to her belly..she stopped and went to sleep within minutes..now the cute bug is right at my feet as I browse online.

I will continue to watch her and insist the vet see her if she continues to have any episodes of panting heavy